I have a million questions and am a newbie here.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayseedjim

Reaction score
So far I have made a Merlot-Cabernet and a Pinot-Noir from kits. They turned out to be pretty good,(only aged for two months) and now they are gone! Since then I have made a 6 gallon Blackberry (60%)- Raspberry (40%), harsh but delicious,( need patience to let it age), a 5 gallon Peach, a 5 gallon Peach/Raison,(both of which taste terrible), a 5 gallon Black Plum, a 6 gallon Blackberry, a 5 gallon Blackberry/Raison, another Pinot-Noir (kit), a Shiraz (kit) and one more 5 gallon Blackberry (Fermenting). All of these are still in carboys. As you can probably see, I am not one who slowly starts a project. So here come the questions that I have. You don't need to answer them all- only the ones that you are pretty sure of the answers.
1) If the kit wine is still fermenting after the alloted time for the next step- do you proceed as per the directions, or do you let it continue fermenting?
2) Do you allow a carboy of wine to continue to ferment- or do you stop it at a certain point? (SG).
4)Is it a common practice to blend wines?
5)If you start a fruit wine-can you treat it like a kit wine and add the same ingredients (chemicals) to speed up the process?
Thanks for your input.
Jim
P.S.
I still have a million more questions!!!

2) Do you allow a carboy of wine to continue to ferment- or do you stop it at a certain point? (SG).
4)Is it a common practice to blend wines?
Jim
P.S.
I still have a million more questions!!!

Welcome to the forum Jim.

I have 2 answers for you, and as I am not a kit wine
maker and so I do not have any experience with them I will not comment on kits or their methods.

2) Always let your carboys ferment out and then take the next step.
4) If you have 2 good wines but they miss something you can blend them
If you have 2 bad wines and blend them they will not get
any better.
If you blend a good wine with a mediocre the wine will be at best mediocre.

You can blend a good wine with low acid with a good wine with high acid to level the acid.
Same goes for dry and sweet wines.

It is also common to blend 2 or more kinds of fruit like blackberry and elderberry (delicious).

Luc

Peach wine

Hi Luc,
Thanks for answering a couple of questions for me. I am assuming that you make mostly fruit wines. I made two batches of peach wine and they smell yeasty and taste bitter. When I made them, I didn't use a straining bag- but rather poured the contents thru a sieve into the carboy where I let it sit for about five weeks. Did I perhaps let it stand in the lee for too long, causing the off smell and bitter taste?
Thanks.
Jim

When did you make this wine ??

Most times yeasty taste and bitterness will dissappear with aging.

Most wines are aged a year before being drinkable.

Luc

Made in August

Thanks for the info, maybe not all is lost. I made the peach wine in August at the height of the peach crop here in Washington State, USA.
I like to taste the wine that I use when checking for SG. Trying to get a feel or taste of what it starts as and what it finishes as. I plan on aging my wines for a year.
Jim

Latest posts

Back