I hate Campden Tabs!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
3rd time using them and I must say I am not a fan. Atleast of the ones I have.
the 1st time I added 1 crushed campden tab to my racked wine, I just crushed it and mixed it to the wine and it did not dissolve. Just floated to the top.

So I took some advice and mixed some wine in a cup and crushed and mixed the campden tab then added it. As soon as I added it to the wine all the bits and filler just floated to the top.

I am hoping in a few days it dissolves!

From now on I may just use 1/10 tsp K meta powder for my 1 gallons!

:po

I haven't noticed that with the ones I use. I don't do gallons much anymore but when I do I use them.
What brand do you have?

Here is a replacement for Campden. 500 grams metabisulfite 500 ml water. Use this mixture at a rate of 5ml = 1 campden tab no more worries about paticles etc.Use a syringe to measure the mixture. Very accurate.

Here is a replacement for Campden. 500 grams metabisulfite 500 ml water. Use this mixture at a rate of 5ml = 1 campden tab no more worries about paticles etc.Use a syringe to measure the mixture. Very accurate.

Agree with above, but you have a choice of Potassium and Sodium metabisulfite. You should opt for Potassium metabisulfite (K-Meta).

I haven't noticed that with the ones I use. I don't do gallons much anymore but when I do I use them.
What brand do you have?

I bought Brewcraft Campden Tabs.

They usually come in a bag of 50, but my wine supply guy had used a few and separated out 25 into a vial.

I will say that this AM I checked the other batch of wine that had recently used the campden tabs on and it had dissapated.

So maybe it was just takes a little time.

I guess I was not patient, and my wife does not care about my feelings on campden tabs.
So I had to vent somewhere!

Potassium metabisulfite = cheaper, easier, no fillers

What's not to like?

Potassium metabisulfite = cheaper, easier, no fillers

What's not to like?

The only problem I have is the conversion and usage for 1 gallon.

for my 6 gallon batches there is no issue,
but when dealing with my 1 gallon batches I dont have the time or effort to put into Use of a syringe.

The idea of a presmeasured tab was great, but not if it is going to leave me floaters.

I have enough problem with people not liking my wine. I dont need to explain floaters as well!

:dg

Agree with above, but you have a choice of Potassium and Sodium metabisulfite. You should opt for Potassium metabisulfite (K-Meta).
I totally agree potassium is the better choice.

The only problem I have is the conversion and usage for 1 gallon.

for my 6 gallon batches there is no issue,
but when dealing with my 1 gallon batches I dont have the time or effort to put into Use of a syringe.

The idea of a presmeasured tab was great, but not if it is going to leave me floaters.

I have enough problem with people not liking my wine. I dont need to explain floaters as well!

:dg
The conversion is done for you using the 10% solution above. 5ml = 1 campdon tab. This is the easiest way to deliver proper dosing of metabisulphite

For smaller doses, put 1/4 tsp k-meta in 50-60 ml water and mix well. Now for a gallon, pour in 10 ml of the mixture to get the equivalent of 1/4 tsp per 5 or 6 gallons.

Latest posts

Back