I got a surprise beer kit!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildvines

Reaction score
Well I received my shipment of EXTRA wine equipment and noticed an extra box. It seemed that the brew store sent me a Belgian Dubbel Extract kit! Apparently they screwed up and some poor guy never got his beer kit. I called to report it but they just thanked me and told me to just keep it. I never made a beer kit but heard this one is a killer beer by reviews. I may try to make it.

Or I can see if a fellow San antonian would want to swap few bottles for it lol. I read the directions and seem to be ok process. Just that it asks for a 5 gallon carboy. I only have 6. Will it matter?
Anyone made one of these beer kits. Should only take 2 month to bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

THis is a perfect excuse to buy a 5 gallon carboy! :D

Extract brewing is pretty straight forward. I say go for it!

I agree with Jim, go ahead and brew it, you have nothing to lose! You will be surprised at just how much fun it can be!

Thanks guys I believe I just may. Will prob take the opportunity to buy another carboy lol at least it will be a 5 gallon. That will be 4 carboys in two months.

If its a 5 gallon kit, you'll need at least a 6 gallon carboy. Beer can foam up pretty good and you don't wanna make a krausen volcano in your fermentation area.

You may need a 5 gallon carboy for secondary though, but don't use it for primary.

Good advice Smokey, wildvines, don't worry about 4 carboys, I have approx. 26...lol!

Ya but I see my self heading there very quick. In a nice apartment complex so the wifey said I could have a huge room/wind cellar when we buy our house this summer. Right now I have s nice storage area next to my apt, literally next door. Do limited in space. I think 7 carboys can fit with my two primaries and bucket

Ive never ever racked my beer from primary bucket to carboy. When fermentation is done you only need about 1 week to clear and then bottle. If you do rack it would be just to get it off the lees so as not to disturb them while bottling.

On kits I'll rack after a couple weeks, head space and oxidation aren't ever a thought.

I have almost always used my 6 gallon carboys for beer. Headspace has never caused a problem.

Ive never ever racked my beer from primary bucket to carboy. When fermentation is done you only need about 1 week to clear and then bottle. If you do rack it would be just to get it off the lees so as not to disturb them while bottling.

Secondary or brite tanking seems to be a personal choice for most brewers but it seems that dubbel and tripples along with most high gravity big beers are suggested to secondary more than lower gravity small beers. but you are right, it seems that secondary is not necessary at all, although many still do.

I rack to a carboy after fermentation to Dry hop and more importantly, to cold crash the beer, unfortunately, the unit I have is a 4.6 cu ft dorm fridge that can easily fit 5 and 6 gal carboys, but just a hair too small for my fermenting bucket.

Still haven't made the beer kit. If I don't start it in the next month. Might see if someone from the San Antonio Texas area wants to give me few bottles of wine for free beer kit lol

Latest posts

Back