How would you make a blackberry + elderberry port?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cracked Cork

Reaction score
I have lots of blackberries and elderberries left and want to make a port from them. Anyone else mixed these together for a port?

Crackecork

I've never mixed them but I think they would get along quite well for a port. It's not like you'd be mixing elderberries and tomatoes.
smiley11.gif
Go for it!

I think that if you did a 50/50,the elderberrys may overpower the blackberrys.I would think you should use more blackberrys than elders.I cant say for sure,but thats what I think.I did a elderberry/cherry last year,and the elderberry flavor is pretty even with the cherry.It was a 25% elder,and 75% cherry.
lockdude

lockdude is correct, from my opinion anyway. I would suggest an 80% Blackberry and 20% Elderberry

Ok guys, keep going: We want to make a heavy bodied long aging wine, maybe bulk age a year or until clear.

How many pounds total for 5 gallons, like 30 pounds of fruit?

Kept on the skins for a week?

Starting gravity like 1.1 and keep feeding when it gets to 1.02 until it cant eat anymore sugar?

K1-V1116 of EC118?

I was thinking adding about 5 cans welches concentrate for even a bit more body?

A big handfull of toasted oak?

Crackedcork

Cracked: Here is the recipe that Waldo found for me last year when I made my first batch, it was good, but like most batches, we tweak them to see if they can get better. My second batch, wasn't as good, but still was good. Doing my third batch now, and it will be the best yet.

Ingredients
6.0 lb. (2.7 kg) ripe blackberries
1 cup red grape concentrate
1/2 cup light dried malt extract
1 3/4 lb. (0.79 kg) granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. pectic enzyme
1 1/4 tsp. acid blend
4 pints (1.9 L) water
1 crushed Campden tablet
1/2 tsp. yeast energizer
1 tsp. yeast nutrient
1 pkg Lalvin K1-V1116 (Montpellier) or a port wine yeast

With this latest batch, I upped the light Malt to 3/4 per gallon and fermented on 3 ounces of french oak, medium toast, then 2 ounces Hungarian oak in the secondary. The extra Malt seems to hide the higher alcohol, keeping a nice smooth drink.

Since I haven't used elderberries, I can't comment on the addition of them, but I do know that with 6 pounds of blackberries per gallon, you won't need the concentrate for body, it will stick to the side of your glass as it is.

The K1V1116 will also ferment out to 20 to 21 % under the right conditions. Mine is at a little over 19% right now, but will continue to ferment out over the next month or so in the secondary. Edit: You will ferment on the skins for close to 2 weeks from the time you throw the yeast till the day you rack into secondary at 1.010. Of course this is after you add sugar to bring the level back up. I start at 1.110, let it come down to 1.030 +- then add sugar back to 1.080, then let it come back to 1.020 +- which is were t will fizzle out at 20+% ABV.

Edited by: jobe05

With say 25Lbs of blackberrys and 5 Lbs of elders,Its going to have tons of body.I wouldnt bother with trying to add more.I wouldnt use the 1118 because it has a kinda bland flavor profile.The 1116 is a better choice.If you feed it sugar in stages,and keep track of your additions,you will be able to get a high% wineeasily.I wouldnt start it at too high of a gravity because osmotic stress will weaken your yeast some,and if your going to feed it anyway,you might as well keep your yeast as happy as you can so it willget the high% that you want.Man it sure sounds good!I would ferment on the blackberrys for 7 days,but would only do the elders for 4 days.
lockdudeEdited by: lockdude

So in building a better blackberry/elderberry port K1=V1116 it is, always have good luck with this yeast anyway. I also have 3 lb of extra light dry malt extract to toss in. And some oakmor for the primary and chips or staves, toasted, for under glass.

I was thinking to also steam extract the juice and then throw the skins back in, the wife got one of those juicers and it seems I get a gallon of juice for every 10lb of berries. Could even possibly go 100% berry juice upping the berries to 35 blackberry and 15 elderberries?

Crackedcork

Its sounding better all the time!!! the dried malt will make it rich.
lockdude

We been thinking of maybe going more traditional style, fermenting with a weaker yeast from 1.100 to 1.04 and then hitting it with everclear. Does that sound more in line with traditional port winemaking? Crackedcork

Cracked, I would highly recommend getting a WYeast liquid yeast for Port. I don't think George handles it but maybe he could get it for you or you can Google for a location to purchase it.

Hi Waldo, I have never used a liquid yeast before, always just made my own, what is so special about this one?
Thanks
Crackedcork

Another way you may think about making this wine is making each sepatately and blend the two just before bottling so as to control the
flavor that best suites you. I've done this myself with great results.

Hi there Cracked Corn,
I would be interested on any info on the steamer. I've heard others
mentioned they use a steamer at Winefest. I'm sorry I don't know your real name. Mine is David.

Those steamers work great in extracting the juices from the fruits David. When you make it up this way i will give you a hands on demo

Waldo would be the man to ask. Waldo, you ever have any problems clearing your steam extracted wines? Do any of them give any special problems being steamed that are not usually a problem using fresh fruit?

Crackedcork

Have not experienced any myself Cracked. If anything I feel it helps the fruit wines clear better as well as quicker.

Yes, a couple of deer interupted my winemaking but its getting too cold to sit in a tree now so I am going back into the basement to work :) Crackedcork

Latest posts

Back