How to prevent label wrinkling?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA_wine

Junior
Reaction score
We've found that our labels get wrinkly after a while in the wine fridge. Does anyone know the cause or have tips to prevent this?

We've found that our labels get wrinkly after a while in the wine fridge. Does anyone know the cause or have tips to prevent this?

I think they are probably absorbing moisture. I have had the same thing happen in my damp basement. I don't know if this would help but have you tried to spray a clear sealer on the labels before putting on the bottles? I know some people do this to keep the colors from running.

I probably should have asked a few more questions:

Are you talking about labels you put on or commercial bottles?
What type of labels are you using?
Do you glue on or are they self adhesive?

They're not commercial, we just label the bottles we give to friends. They're off the shelf self-adhesive (Avery I think) from Staples. They've done this in our wine fridge and cellar (humidity < or = 60%).

Yep, I have had the Avery labels wrinkle a little also. Think maybe they shrink a bit when they get cold and don't lay back down when they warm up a bit. Arne.

I think I am going to quit using avery labels and go to regular paper and sp ray them good with acrylic spray.

I have been using regular paper for some time. Started using a glue stick, not good when chilling whites in a bucket of ice, labels come off.
Found mention of using milk. Put it in a saucer and drag the label over it. Works well, but need to wipe off excess (smells and goes mouldy) and wipe the label flat as they wrinkle if you don't.

I have used a glue stick and I like that. I will not worry about it if I put it in ice. I would rarely do that and if the label comes off, I will proudly display it near the ice bucket.!!

I have seen the milk method and i think it is good.

I just use plain paper and a glue stick but I have noticed that if I set them aside for a few minutes after glueing and then smooth out the label a second time with a clean cloth or paper towel they do much better. The glue itself seems to dampen the paper some after a few minutes but after I smooth it out the second time I don't have any problems. I like the way they come off so easily by just soaking them a few minutes in water, that does create a problem if you put them in a bucket of ice water.

Latest posts

Back