How Old

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How old is your oldest wine?

• < 12 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-2 years

• 2 - 5 years

• 5-10 years (Yikes)

• It was old when Noah Sailed

• Total voters

peterCooper

Reaction score
I keep a spreadsheet that calculates the age of my wines. I stared this game 30 months ago. My oldest is only 17. But I bet some of you ave some real old stuff sitting in the closet (umm I mean cellar)
smiley1.gif

I started this about 3 years ago and have at least 2 bottles of every batch Ive made.

This is a GREAT poll.........

And with that last selection, Waldo can even be included in this one!
smiley36.gif

Lloyd,
Loved the story on you fogotten wines. Maybe you should work that into a name for your vineyard.....

On this poll, I have only been at this hobby for 19 months so I have to nitpick about when you say you start a wine. I have been saying it begins when the yeast is pitched but have heard others say dating starts when fementaion is finished. So my oldest is either 19 or 18 months...

I have a few old commercial bordeauxs that are in their 20s (1982 and 1986) and a 1/2 bottle of bordeaux that is from 1947 (was an expensive gift to me). Otherwise, I have few bottles of 2003 vintages kicking around that I've made. I've also thrown out some wines from the 90s that were long forgotton. They were so far past their prime, that vinegar would be considered fresh.

I found another 1997 homemade Sauvignon Blanc I made with grapes from a North texas vineyard while I wasreorganizing my wine racks this past Sunday. I'm sure it is over the hill by now. I have two 1999 homemade Carignane's and two homemade 1999 Moscato di Canelli's, both made with Peter Brehm grapes. I've got several commercial reds from the early 2000's. Wow, Dean, a 1947 bordeaux. The oldest wine I've tasted was a 1972Chateau Haut-Brion.Edited by: dfwwino

Wade, ummmmm...good idea on saving 2 bottles from every kit made. I may do something similar......1 bottle saved.
smiley36.gif

Just started making wine in Feb. of this year. I've been trying to save a bottle from each batch, but they are so good. Perhaps I'll keep one bottle from each batch to see how they improve with age.

Monty

Latest posts

Back