How Much Wine Do You Drink?

Discussion in 'General Wine Making Forum' started by Donz, Oct 23, 2018.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Oct 24, 2018 #21

Mismost

Mismost

Mismost

Years ago I adopted a self imposed rule.... seldom have more than two drinks....and seldom drink two days in a row.
    I woke up one morning and wanted to start the day with a drink....instead I started this routine.
    I suspect I have addictive tendencies, I would prefer not to confirm those suspensions in real life.
    As a bonus....it has kept my happy ass outta jail for over 40 years now!!

Ajmassa5983 and Erin Tipton like this.
  2. Oct 25, 2018 #22

kyle5434

kyle5434

kyle5434

Trying to fuse frugal/pragmatic with good results WMT Supporter

Sure, there's definitely evidence along those lines. That's one of the side benefits of enjoying wine. ;)

But there's a growing body of research that suggests fasting - or more precisely, the condition of autophagy that kicks in after about 16-18 hours of fasting - has potentially much more significant effects. Autophagy is the process wherein the body - having exhausted its supply of energy from sugars circulating in the bloodstream and glycogen stored in the liver - starts to, in a sense, eat itself. It seeks out old, dysfunctional cells and breaks them down, feeding on them and creating new healthy cells in the process. Researchers are discovering that when we're continually eating every few hours, autophagy never has a chance to kick in and perform the cellular house-cleaning needed to help keep chronic diseases at bay. Autophagy helps to target and break down the unneeded amyloid and Tau proteins that build up in the brain and cause dementia, Parkinsons, etc. It also appears that it targets cancer cells in the body as well.

Additionally, fasting in general helps reset the production of insulin in the body, which has all sorts of cardiovascular and autoimmune benefits.

So when it comes to wine and fasting, I'm looking to get the best of both worlds. ;)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    abrewkat and Erin Tipton like this.
  3. Oct 25, 2018 #23

CK55

CK55

CK55

Banned

Nice, I have celiac disease which is a autoimmune disorder with certain types of grains. It's absolutely hell, I always feel awful and tired and whatnot. Took me well over a decade to find out I had it. Had been having random issues for years and a DNA test and then my doctor put it together.

Erin Tipton likes this.
  4. Oct 25, 2018 #24

sour_grapes

sour_grapes

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

But then it would go after my brain!! ;)

heatherd, Boatboy24 and kyle5434 like this.
  5. Oct 25, 2018 #25

Stressbaby

Stressbaby

Stressbaby

Just a Member

Recent research has complicated this calculus. Research showing the benefits of moderate alcohol intake over the past decade were almost certainly flawed by something known as "abstainer bias" - basically people stop drinking when they get sick or due to substance use disorders, both of which increase mortality.

Any alcohol intake increases risk of cancer, notably breast cancer in women. The cancer risk offsets much of the cardiovascular benefits. And a recent study found that drinking more than three times a week significantly increased the risk of premature death. So to say that wine "dramatically lowers risk of heart issues" may be an oversimplification. Yes it lowers cardiovascular risk at certain levels of exposure, but depending on the exposure your mortality risk may or may not be reduced.

sour_grapes likes this.
  6. Oct 25, 2018 #26

abrewkat

abrewkat

abrewkat

I probably drink 1-3 bottles a week. Just getting into winemaking, which I'm really enjoying. My bf on the other hand, can put away a couple of bottles a day if he's off work and sitting around playing video games. So, it lets me get my creative side going, and cuts back on his beer spending. I'll call it a win!

Ajmassa5983 likes this.
  7. Oct 25, 2018 #27

NorCal

NorCal

NorCal

Super Moderator Super Moderator

I like making wine, more than I can consume, so there is always a few hundred bottles I’ve made to choose from. I’m usually grabbing something that sounds good to the Mrs.

8. Oct 25, 2018 #28

cmason1957

cmason1957

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer WMT Supporter

You know, if I wanted facts, I would give them to you. Don't be throwing them things around carelessly. My doctor and I agree moderate red wine drinking is good for both of us. And I always bring him a case of the of red wine every time I go see him.

9. Oct 25, 2018 #29

CK55

CK55

CK55

Banned

lol

10. Oct 25, 2018 #30

tjgaul

tjgaul

tjgaul

Carboy Addict WMT Supporter

GREAT! You can make it and give it away to me! I don't mind a little charity.

mainshipfred likes this.
  11. Oct 25, 2018 #31

coboll2921

coboll2921

coboll2921

A glass every night when I start to make Dinner. Umm, glass equivalent to two servings. :db I make enough wine to last all year long, but I do LOVE a California Merlot when I go out.

12. Oct 25, 2018 #32

Dennis Griffith

Dennis Griffith

Dennis Griffith

That would be red wine, of course.

CK55 likes this.
  13. Oct 25, 2018 #33

Dennis Griffith

Dennis Griffith

Dennis Griffith

My doctor said 5 to 7 a week is fine when I ask him how much is ok to drink. I'm just not sure if he was referring to glasses, bottles, or days. On the serious side, my wife typically has a glass each evening. I, on the other hand, have days during the week where I abstain. But when I do, I typically only have 1 or 2 (wine or beer). So I am close to the 5 to 7 glasses a week.

CK55 and mainshipfred like this.
  14. Oct 25, 2018 #34

Bts

Bts

Bts

I probably do 4 or 5 glasses a week, mostly 2 at a time. I bottle a decent percentage of my stuff in beer bottles since I'm the only one in the house who drinks wine and the 2 glasses that a beer bottle holds is perfect for a weeknight with dinner. We eat a ton of asian food, so meals that can reasonably be paired with wine only come along 2 or 3 nights a week, which is probably for the best health wise. For commercial wines, the one thing I've stocked up on is nero grande appassimento from trader joe's. I'm sure they're selling it a year or two before its prime, but it's still pretty darn good, and an appassimento I can reasonably afford to buy by the case is a rare and beautiful thing.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    mainshipfred likes this.
  15. Oct 25, 2018 #35

baron4406

baron4406

baron4406

Supporting Members WMT Supporter

I must admit, I drink alot of beer, wine and bourbon. I can't remember the last time i was drunk either tho its just steady drinking. I love people who say "it will shorten your life". What they don't mention is knocks off years from the END of your life-the absolute worst years. So I die a year or two early and skip the adult diaper years? Bottoms up!! BTW it has alot to do with your genetics, the oldest man in the US claims its cigars and whiskey that gave him his long life. Drink up

Bubba1, heatherd, AkTom and 2 others like this.
  16. Oct 25, 2018 #36

Donz

Donz

Donz

You da man. Salute!!!

baron4406 likes this.
  17. Oct 26, 2018 #37

sour_grapes

sour_grapes

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

Yeah, I can't remember my last time either! You must have been really wasted! ;) :dg

18. Oct 26, 2018 #38

almargita

almargita

almargita

Supporting Members WMT Supporter

Usually 2-3 bottles per week. prefer my own as to store bought as i like a medium sweet wine an most store wines are either too dry or too sweet. i make all my wines medium sweet, don't care what others think either!
    Al

Mismost, baron4406 and GaDawg like this.
  19. Oct 26, 2018 #39

salernovic

salernovic

salernovic

Junior

6 oz a day. I go 4 days with a bottle
    Sunday about 10 oz. If my dad is over, we finish the bottle

baron4406 likes this.
  20. Oct 26, 2018 #40

Gandi

Gandi

Gandi

Junior

I limit myself to 3 bottles per week, maybe 4 if my wife gets thirsty. I have an inventory of about 300 bottles, well 150 in bottles and 150 aging 'in cask' (glass carboy). 3 bottles per week means that I never start on a batch until it is at least a year old and I finish it before 2 years (I use cheap corks)