how much to add..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosa6329

Reaction score
So I have a cab sauv wine kit aging. How often should I add sulphite to it? When adding should I stir it? Any tips will help!

The safest way is to get a testing kit and test for free SO2. Some people add a 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon every 3 or 4 months. This latter activity could lead to over sulfiting you wine. I would get a kit.

I don't sulfite every few months. Only when I rack.
I add a pinch for 5 gallons when I rack to age. Prior to that I add 1/4 teaspoon when I clear.

After 6 months whites/fruits or 1 year reds I'll rack to back sweeten and again add a pinch for 5 gallons.

When I bottle I'll check my levels and I'm usually pretty close to suggested levels.

I do age in a cool/cold dark area and top off high.

If you are doing a kit what did the instructions say?

Problem is - with the small test-strip-type kit, it is very difficult to get an accurate reading for a red wine. Morewine and others sale a much better and more accurate test setup, but it is over $100. One of our sponsors also sells a very nice meter device for testing it, but again, even though it is worth it, it is expensive.

If a wine maker is serious about making wine and intends to do so long term, he/she would be much better off putting down the money for a nice test setup.

For those who aren't sure where their wine making is going or who just can afford to spend such money, the simple technique of adding 1/4 teaspoon every 4 months is acceptable. It takes a lot of sulfites for most people to be able to taste them. 50 PPM is not a bad level of free SO2. Commercial wines can be as much as 200PPM. That is a pretty huge margin.

So, if you just can't get yourself to spring for an expensive setup, you should feel safe just adding 1/4 teaspoon every 4 months.

Again, if you see yourself as a serious, long term wine maker, as soon as possible try to buy a good setup for checking free SO2.

That's my 2 cents worth.

I don't sulfite every few months. Only when I rack.
I add a pinch for 5 gallons when I rack to age. Prior to that I add 1/4 teaspoon when I clear.

After 6 months whites/fruits or 1 year reds I'll rack to back sweeten and again add a pinch for 5 gallons.

When I bottle I'll check my levels and I'm usually pretty close to suggested levels.

I do age in a cool/cold dark area and top off high.

If you are doing a kit what did the instructions say?

The kit said to bottle it once finished racking it to clear. But I dont have enough bottles yet. So I wanted just to age it in the carboy

The kit said to bottle it once finished racking it to clear. But I dont have enough bottles yet. So I wanted just to age it in the carboy

You don't have to bottle it right away. Some of us bulk age in the carboy for up to two years. However, two years is a long time to age without actually testing for free SO2. For less than a year, as was mentioned, add 1/4 teaspoon every 4 months during bulk aging. Then when you get your bottles and you are ready, get 'er done.

You don't have to bottle it right away. Some of us bulk age in the carboy for up to two years. However, two years is a long time to age without actually testing for free SO2. For less than a year, as was mentioned, add 1/4 teaspoon every 4 months during bulk aging. Then when you get your bottles and you are ready, get 'er done.

So how long do you think I should keep it in the carboy without testing the SO2? Also when I add 1/4 every 4 months should I stir it? Also right before bottling it should I add 1/4 again or no?

Latest posts

Back