How Much Pear Juice To Use?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadwarriorsvt

Reaction score
I found these bottles of 100% organic pear juice bottles, 32 oz. each. They are $4.00 each. To go with 100% pear juice it would take 20 to make 5 gallons which is about $80.00. Does anyone have a guesstimate on how much you could get away with instead of 100% juice and still get a good pear flavor?

IMG_20120708_124110.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry but I can't see the wine tasting all that great unless you go with all juice. Pear is very light flavored

I have to agree with Julie, I made a pear wine years ago at about 70/30% and it tasted like a Chablis having not much pear flavor at all!

IMO straight juice is the only way to go with this one

BOB

i would go straight juice as well....made pear years ago from fresh fruit...still had no distinct flavor profile.....don't get me wrong, it turned out to be a very nice light white wine, but did not have a very pear-like flavor per say....as stated, it really is a very delicate fruit to work with....

This is what I wanted to know. Its always good to learn from others experience. Thanks. Straight juice it will be!

This is what I wanted to know. Its always good to learn from others experience. Thanks. Straight juice it will be!

Straight juice is the way to go, but with 4 Qts. to the gal. you will need 20 qts. to make 5 gals. not 16.

LOUMIK:h

I would vote for straight juice also. I am making 5 gallons of peach wine from pure juice and I will have $40 dollars in each 5 gal just in juice not counting the other ingredients. The way that I look at it is that you want it to be the very best and after waiting a year to enjoy it, the money seems a moot subject at that point. Have you thought of making fewer gallons out of pure juice? In other words, make fewer bottles but let it be the best you can make.

Actually I have thought of making less, but its the same amount of work for a 3 gallon batch as it is for a 5 gallon, plus like you said, when its a year later, a few bucks is just chump change. I'd rather have a good flavor versus a few extra bucks in my wallet!

Back