Mosti Mondiale How much oak?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trubador

Reaction score
I just recently made the Mosti All Juice Merlot. It came with one 30 gram packet of Oak chips. I added it to secondary and per the instructions am stirring it daily.

The Winexpert kits for merlot would use two packets of oak but would not call for stirring.

Is this MM Merlot a lightly oaked version? Or was there supposed to be two packets inside?

Trubador:

My MM Alljuice Nero D'Avola came with (1) package of Oak, i threw this into the empty carboy before my first racking. There was even a little oak dust that also went into the carboy. Then I filled up the carboy with the wine from the fermenting bucket. Stir once a day as per instructions, u can also shake the carboy back n forth to mixup the oak.

PS: my oak was very dark in color almost black. - is your oakjust as dark?Edited by: Dominick

Total oaking of wine depends on a couple of factors. The surface area of the oak, the type of oak (and toasting level), and the time the wine spends in contact with the oak. Check the instructions to see just how many days this wine will be in contact with the oak. Because there is dialy strring, the oak-to-wine contact should be enhanced as well.

Kit manufacturers make a great effort to be sure that their wines end up coming out balanced when the directions are followed, so I wouldn't worry about the oak until you're into the bulk aging time. If, at that point, you feel your wine needs some more oak, then add a couple ounces of Stavin oak beans and let it sit for a bit.

- Jim

MM kits have you add the oak when the wine is already fermented which extracts more oak and they also have you keep the oak in the wine longer also so I bet you get either better extraction or the same amount.

thanks guys. I agree that the stirring the wine with the oak must extract it better. The mosti kit has it staying in contact for 10 to 12 days.

Rule of thumb: It's easy to add some more oak for your tastes, but it's not so easy to take it back out.

- Jim

Double check your instructions. Sometimes in that step they mean 10-12 days total, not from the first racking from primary to secondary which is when you would have added the oak. If you stick with their oak and instructions you shouldn't bein any danger of over-oaking, but that step in their directions can be confusing.

So, I just receive another Mosti Kit, this one is the Old Vines
Rennaissance Cabernet Sauvignon. It came with 210 grams of
oak!!!!!!!!! Holy cow.

This really makes me wonder whether the All Juice Merlot was
supposed to have come with more than just 30 grams of Oak. What a
drastic difference between the two kits...Is that normal, 30 grams for
the merlot and 210 for the Cab?

Believe in what Mosti sends you. They make quality wines and the differences in oak are meant to enhance the wines per varietal and its strong points. The Merlot is a nice easy drinking fruity red wine and the Cab Sauv is an in your face, up front wine so it handles more oak. I'm having a Mosti All Juice Pinot Noir right now(just can't stay away from the stuff). It's amazing the suble flavor changes taking place as this wine ages. Tonight besides a lot of cherries, there is plenty of vanilla in there and it even finishes up with a nice chocolate flavor. A lot of that flavor profile is thanks to quality juice they use and quality oak in the proper amounts.

appleman said:
Believe in what Mosti sends you. They make quality
wines and the differences in oak are meant to enhance the wines per
varietal and its strong points. The Merlot is a nice easy drinking
fruity red wine and the Cab Sauv is an in your face, up front wine so
it handles more oak. I'm having a Mosti All Juice Pinot Noir
right now(just can't stay away from the stuff). It's amazing the suble
flavor changes taking place as this wine ages. Tonight besides a lot of
cherries, there is plenty of vanilla in there and it even finishes up
with a nice chocolate flavor. A lot of that flavor profile is thanks to
quality juice they use and quality oak in the proper amounts.

I am very excited about the possiblities of these kits. I
absolutely can't wait to get this Cab started. Probably will be
tomorrow night if things go well.

your description of the Pinot has me drooling
smiley1.gif

Cabs are typically much more oaky. My last 2 kits from RJS were the same way. 1 was the Cru Select RQ Tannat Merlot an the other was the Winery Series Cab Sauv.

wade said:
Cabs are typically much more oaky. My last 2 kits from RJS
were the same way. 1 was the Cru Select RQ Tannat Merlot an the
other was the Winery Series Cab Sauv.

something about the quantity of the oak has me all psyched up to start
the kit. I love getting a new kit in the mail, opening it up,
looking at the bag of juice. I'm 37 years old, but when I get a
kit, I am reduced to 12
smiley1.gif

I typically add more oak then what is given to me by the manufacturer but I like a lot of oak and make these wines for myself. I do give out and have not heard any negatives yet. I typically only add a little though with the exception of whites as Im not a big oaked white wine liker.

Appleman, how old is your AJ Pinot Noir? I have an AJ Cab that's just over a year (from pitching the yeast) and it still has that new-kit taste.How long did it take your Pinot for that taste to settle out?

Mark the AJ Pinot Noir is just a bit over a year. It was quite drinkable after 6-9 months, but is getting really good now. I'm not surprised the Cab is still a bit rough- Cabs tend to take a while to round out decently. Give it another 6 months and it should really start to come into it's own.

Appleman, I have never tried a Pinot Noir, but your description sounds delicious!!!! Any recommendation on a commercial Pinot Noir I could try?

uavwmn -

Hands down, try the Hahn Estates Pinot Noir (has a rooster on the label) - best pinot I've tasted for under $20, and it's hard to find good pinots for under $20. It exhibits nice cherry and light caramel flavors with a smooth feel. It is not necessarily a pinot that will age, however, so I wouldn't hold it for half a decade.

- JimEdited by: JimCook

I'll have to give that one a try. I also like the Byron Pinot Noir for around $25.

Latest posts

Back