How Much Meta?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&GB

Reaction score
I fermented a Cab with no instructions. I've degassed and clarified it, and it's had oak chips soaking in it for a week. I racked it off the lees today and took readings. The results concern me.

Residual Sugar (Clinitest) - Trace. Acid - .625. PH - 4.72. Free So2 - 16 ppm.

PH is too high, and free So2 is too low. I need to add meta, but how much? How do I calculate ppm when all I have is standard kitchen measuring spoons?

What did you get the pH reading with? Since it is in decimals I assume you used a pH meter. When was the last time it was calibrated? How old is the probe? The reading seems too high to be correct-I suspect it isn't right.

As far as k-meta, add 1/4 tsp now. That should bring S02 up to an adequate level.

Thanks Appleman. That was a really quick response! Yes, I mistyped the PH reading. But 3.72 is still too high according to my reading. I assume the addition of meta will lower the PH. 1/4 tsp for 6 gal. Wow, that stuff's potent. Do you dissolve in water first? Sorry for all the questions. My wife could figure all this out, but alas, she's unavailable.

Oh, and I just got the PH meter and calibrated it after soaking the bulb for 2 hours.Edited by: K&GB

The 3.72 really should be OK. It's on the high side, but should be OK if done fementing. The k-meta won't lower the pH at least negligible. K-Meta is potent. You can dissolve it in a 1/4 cup of water or better yet 1/4 -1/2 cup must/wine from your carboy.

One question for you. Is this Cab a fresh must or a kit? If it is a wine from a must, you could try lowering the pH to about 3.6 with additions of Tartaric acid. The acid should be added according to the manufacturers instructions in small increments while rechecking. The addition can cause a few tartaric crystals to drop out if cooled.

The Cab is an aseptic juice,Santa Clara California Grape Juice, purchased from AmericanWineGrape.com. But the kit only came with yeast, no instructions, etc. I was following the directions in my Home Winemaking book, which assumes I'mcrushing fresh grapes.After adding some table sugar to raise to 23.5 brix, I fermented in an open container keeping the temp around 80 degrees. At 1.06 SG, I transferred to a carboy with airlock. When all the bubbling stopped, I moved it into the garage where it's cool. Apparently, I forgot to add K-meta when fermentation was complete because I don't have a notation in my book.

In the interim, I started a WE Sangiovese kit and noticed differences in the kit directions and my Home Winemaking book. Specifically, the kit called for degassing, potassium sorbate, and a clarifying agent. My book mentioned none of that for red wines. On 12/16 I checked the wine and found it very cloudy. It also smelled and tasted off. I'm not sure how to describe the smell. It was strong,but not like rotten eggs. Upon advice from the forum, I stirred the heck out of it to degass (not much gas left) and used Kiesesol/Chitosan for clarifying. I also added French oak. Today I racked it off the sediment and tested it. Much more clear, and the odor is not as strong. I added K-meta and put the oak chips back in. My plan is to allow it to bulk age for several months before checking it again.

I'm open to any advice. Thanks again.

I think you are going pretty well. A few months on the oak chips might be a bit much. Check it after a month and if it is adequate then, rack it to a clean carboy and then bulk age a few more months. Sounds like it should turn out OK in the end.

Latest posts

Back