how much is too much?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope you're feeling better now, Ramona!
smiley2.gif
We really haven't had much trouble with the beggars. Bert has given one of his co-workers some bottles to pass on to his relatives, but that was as a treat from Bert. The co-worker didn't ask him to do it. I think that part of it for us is that we maintain a rather formal line with a lot of people who we don't know well, and it's a hard line to cross once it's established. I did have a co-worker, who I can not stand, try to get wine from me by volunteering to collect bottles from a wine tasting. I turned her down flat. I told her that our friends keep us well supplied with bottles. I would never give a bottle of wine to someone who I don't know or don't like.

Our wines are personal; they are a part of us.We don'tjustgive away parts of ourselves to strangers and aquaintances. I guess if I got one of those "off the wall" requests I'd just say I wasn't comfortable doing that.
(Gotten a lot of milage out ofthis question and a lot of thought about how we feel about our wines.)

I'm proud of the wine I make and gladly offer the wines as gifts to loved ones and close friends, especially since I seem to be accumulatiing it at a rate far faster than it can be currently consumed. However, when a casual acquaintence or someone at work asks for some wine, I tell them I'm willing to trade. I usually request a bottle of commercial Amarone for two bottles of my home made wine. That's usually enough to discourage them and, if it doesn't, then I think that's a fair trade!

Let me send you the recipe for my redneck special. It is designed for moochers. It doesnt taste bad either, just no where near a fine wine.
smiley23.gif

I have a batch of Johannesburg Riesling, it's terrible. I tell them I "was" saving it for next yearbut since they asked they can have one bottle. Those people never ask for another bottle.

I tried making a lower end wine to give awaybut.................a moocher is a moocher. I'm with OilnH2O on this one,when it ceases being a gift from the heart, or the little voice inside says: "hey wait a minute, I'm feeling used" then it's time for the magic words. "Sorry NO!"

There are those of us who would share our efforts with anyone for the correct reasons and have, heck we even mail out marinade to friends but when it becomes expected and there is resentment when you do not comply, then I have a real problem.

Ok, I'm off my soap box. Green Apple Riesling anyone?
smiley4.gif

Actually this is a topic that serves us all well. It is good and also humorous to get input on this mooching thing.
smiley32.gif

I have never been asked for wine for friends. That's 'coz I don't have any friends.
smiley28.gif
(just kidding) However I have thought about it as I presumed it would come up at some point in time.

Ramona's rant may be a little strong but I think we all have the same feelings inside whether we want to express them or not.

I decided very early on that I would be very agreeable to providing wine through family and friends for others. All they have to do is buy me a wine kit and the bottles, I make the wine and bottle it for them. they get 20 bottles and I keep the rest for my trouble.

Of course they have to store their 20 bottles!

I had someone give me 10lbs of Muscadines last fall. They got half the finished wine. A fair exchange in my view and in hers.

Latest posts

Back