How much Booster Rouge is 6-8 grams?!?!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJayman

Reaction score
Wanting to add this before pitching, and though cheaper, I am sitting with an 80 g bag and no scale. I need to add 6-8 grams and was looking for someone who uses it and what their notes reflect in teaspoons for example....

Any help appreciated. Juice is in the fermenter waiting!!!

The math looks right.

The best way to do it is to spend a little $$ and pick up a scale. They are dirt cheap and very accurate. I have this one and love it. You should also pick up an inexpensive set of calibration wieghts and check the reading before you use it each time. Low/dead batteries make for off readings sometimes so its always good to check it before hand. You can use these for weighing yeast, yeast nutrient, KMETA, sorbate, tannin and much more

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, All.....

Yeah, would be nice to have and was just an oversight at the time. I didn't realize it until I had juice in fermenters and getting ready to hydrate yeast, etc.

What I did was swing by my folks and my mom had a small scale which only measured 10 grams at a time. I used this as best could and ended up with 9 portions...so all pretty close to just under 9 grams. Maybe a little high, but very close.

Incidently, this is a batch of Red Mountain Cabernet, (did one last spring with "Terminator Yeast",) divided into two fermenters. One has BM 45 and the other rockpile. Will blend them after fermentation. Hate I have to wait a year and a half to see best results. Anyway, using booster rouge as well.

Come on guys !!!
After all these years you should know how yeast works..........

Yeast is a living material and eats, sleeps and reproduces in your wine.
A yeast colony doubles almost every hour until saturation is reached.

This means that if you add 1/2 teaspoon yeast on hour later it will have multiplied to 1 teaspoon. Yet another hour later it will be 2 teaspoons. etc etc etc.
So it really does not matter how much you add.

If you add too little it will just take a little longer for the vigorous fermentation to be visible.
How much time, well about an hour or so.

Luc

Marty--It is very good to see you on a winemaking site again!! I've missed you since the WP incident. Looking forward to your posts.

a ten dollar digital gram scale in .1 gram increments is essential , as Gene points out differnt powders have different masses .

kmeata weighs alot more per tsp than optired does.

I used to have a spread sheet where I had figured out the weight per tsp of most of the common additives but I can't find it .

get a small scale , they are not just for miami vice drug dealers anymore!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back