How many pounds of grapes per 32 gal Brute?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Americanhooch

Trying not to screw up too bad
Reaction score
Planning out for this season. Interested in both the pounds per 32gal crushed and uncrushed. Appreciate any help!

I have done 4 lugs in a 20gal Brute. It worked, but there wasn't a ton of extra room for those couple days of very active fermentation. I usually do 3. I agree that 200lbs sounds about right.

In 2018 I was aiming for 300 pounds of grapes at a time, and those when crushed work well in a 44 gallon brute, but to make it easier to handle, I also did one ferment of 2 x 150 pounds in 2 32 gallon brutes and that works fine as well.

With cap formation, I would not go much beyond 250 pounds in a 32 gallon unless you keep a really close eye on it the first few days when it's really going strong.

I usually get about 60 gallons of wine from 1 bin or 1000 pounds of grapes....so if you did 200 pounds of grapes in your 32-gallon container, then you may yield about 12 gallons of wine. Depending on the grapes, you may get up to 15 gallons. Not that you're asking about volume of finished wine, but I thought I'd chime in.

Back