How many grapes to add???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droc

Reaction score
I've decided to branch out and order my first Chilean juice pails and was wondering how many pounds of grapes I should press and put into the primary. I was looking at Harford Vineyard and noticed that their Chilean grapes come in 18 lb lugs and their California grapes come in 36 lb lugs. Would 18 lbs be okay for my first go. I tend to like bigger bolder reds, so my thinking is that the more the merrier. I have been known to be wrong though, so was hoping to get some advice on this before I order...

You're right, in this case, more grapes would be better. But I'm pretty pleased with how my 2013 Chileans are turning out using 18lbs per 6 gal bucket. I'm a big, bold red fan as well.

I added 9-10 lbs per 6 gallon bucket and they are amazing, I'm sure that a lug would be better, at a certain point you have to decide if it is cost effective to add 40 dollars worth of grapes of just go ahead and purchase a few more lugs and make the wine from grapes.

The reason I ask is when I get my Chilean grapes they come in 18 lb per order, and the California grapes are 36 pounds per order. So I guess I can just freeze whatever I have left over from the California order when I do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

You're right, in this case, more grapes would be better. But I'm pretty pleased with how my 2013 Chileans are turning out using 18lbs per 6 gal bucket. I'm a big, bold red fan as well.

How much more juice do the grapes add? I've never had a 6 gallon bucket actually fill a 6 gallon Carboy.

I also have three 6.5 gallon carboys I got ok accident when I got into wine.

What size bucket are you using for the primary fermentation?

I'm not sure how much they add, but I asked this question on another thread and boatboy said to pour half the juice in my normal fermenter and then leave the other half in the pail. That's what I'm planning on doing and then racking everything into my 6 gallon carboy. If I have extra I'll just rack into a gallon jug.

A rough estimate would be 1-1.5 gallons for 18lbs.

With my malbec, I got a solid 1.5 gallons. The carmenere was just shy of 1 gallon.

Got it. Seems simple enough. Can't wait until I pick up more juice later this month.

Latest posts

Back