How many carboys do you own?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many carboys do you own? (3-gallon or higher)

• 10 - 20 (addicted)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20 - 30 (wino)

• 30+ (insane)

• Total voters
Oneo Teras said:
Use the 6 1/2 as a primary for making beer...
smiley1.gif

It's funny you say that...that's what I did last weekend with it and was thinking more about the fact it will be nice to not be tied to whenI have a 6 gallon empty to make beer...since that seems like it's going to be pretty infrequent.
smiley2.gif

Sadly, I'm on the insane end of the spectrum too :D

Almost a year into it and already at the addicted level, posted a want carboys add on craigslist, got a response and after talking to the guy he is giving me a few carboys and some chemical/ingredients since he stopped making wine and makes only beer. That will put me perilously close to wino!
smiley36.gif

I'm 15 days into my wine brewing career and have 3 6 gal carboys.plan on bulk aging so I will need more.I can see were this could become an addiction or has it already?
smiley14.gif
Has any one started a gethelp topic in the forum? I guess no one wouldgo toit..my wife is already talking about an intervention
smiley13.gif

3 6-gal

2 5-gal

3 3-gal

Guess that makes me hooked. The fact that two of the 6-gals are empty is a constant source of distress.

You forgot one listing, all of the above. Thats where I fit in.
I consider myself a newbie, thats on his way to being hooked. My wife thinks I'm addicted, and that I'll turn into a wino and drive her insane.

I'm just starting out, so I only have two thus far. However, I can see how an empty primary can make one start to lose sleep at night. So, I guess more carboys are going to find their home at my house soon.

Mississippi Mud,

There's a thread labled "Wine Aging Support Group" where we all complain about having no patience and discuss strategies to overcomethestrong urge to bottle and drink our wines early.

Myway22,

Well said! Ditto.

Edited by: K&GB

Have 4 and they are full (need 2 more)1 to rack and 1 for the fresh juice!!!! I have only been doing this for 2 months. (already have a problem).. This stuff takes time to age.. The more the better, preparing for the future. The more you make the longer you can age it..

By the way, a wet vac helps, when you get a new carboy... I hate those peanuts... Not as much as broken glass though.

Luckily, I went crazy when I got started and bought a pallet of 80 5-gallons. I'm only using about 40 of them right now.

texasermd said:
Luckily, I went crazy when I got started and bought a pallet of 80 5-gallons. I'm only using about 40 of them right now.

Been wondering what became of all that glass and many juices.....How is it going?????

All the reds are just doing their thing...aging. The whites have gone through 3 weeks of cold stabilization (after bentonite protein stabilization) in the adjustable freezer @ 26F (the last batch is almost done) I have had some blind taste tests of some of my reds (@ 4 months of age) vs some commercial $30-$40 wines and have done well so that's a plus.

My 2 carboy's of 20% abv raspberry-cabernet-merlot port are everyone's favorites. I think I mentioned that I made those with cab-merlot juice in the primary, fermented dry, raised the alcohol level with everclear and added some additional flavoring with commercial concentrated respberry juice. They're awsome! They will be going into bottles to rest for a year or 2 sometime soon.

In hindsite, I wish I would have spent more money on a few larger containers to run my 200 gallons vs. all the carboys. With all the testing, racking, cleaning, etc I feel like I'm running a commercial winery already!

I will upload a few pics in the near future.

Thanks for the update Doc, glad to hear that your happy with your first wines especially after spending all that money. You could have a carboy tag sale!
smiley4.gif

I must be wine challenged, I only have 3-6 gal carboys. Is there any hope for me?
smiley19.gif

Addicted here! rrussel, soon you will be able to grab pebble from hand grasshopper!

I wish that I could afford to be addicted. Looks like I will be hooked for the next year or so.

Latest posts

Back