How many carboys do you have?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those of you that have 6 plus carboys of the same variety -- why have you chosen to do this rather than use a flex tank or variable volume stainless tank and have it all together to bulk age?

Last edited:
Different wine in every carboy for me [emoji16] but that is a good question. I'd say the cost maybe

I have chosen to have multiple carboys over a tank of any sort, as I don't have a good way to rack the wine. You can't vacuum rack into them, so, you either have to use a wine pump or gravity. I don't have a way to lift 16-20 gallons (160 lbs or so).

I really dislike any small VCT. SS Beer kegs are perfect though. You just need to start off with them up high so you can siphon back out of them into carboys.

I have 5 carboys...2 6-gallon, a 5-gallon, a 3-gallon and a 1-gallon. The 6's and the 3 are currently doing in use.

6 5 gal glass ,,, 10 4 and a half gal plastic went to a garage sale and the lady wanted 35 cents each :i , 1 20 gal plastic pail ,, 10 5 gal pails

25x 6 gallons and miscellaneous smaller ones. Only 11 are wet at the moment as I am trying to clear out space for the fall harvest. First year I will be forsaking the kits and committing fully to the fresh fruit.

Seems like around 30 is the magic number :) I have 14 six gallon, 12 fives and 3 threes. Most are Better Bottles. The only reason I have any glass is that I got a great deal on 10 used 5 gallons with plastic crates for about $7 each.

I have 12 5-gallon, 1 6-gallon for racking, and 20 1-gallon jugs. Cannot buy any more as I am out of space.

I have 7-5gal, 1-6gal, 1-3gal and 3-1gal.
2 are in use right now, waiting for the fall harvest.
I am always on the lookout for deals on bottles, but have yet to see any priced lower than 35 around here.

Thanks,
Steve

Latest posts

Back