Other How long?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Prince

Reaction score
I'm new to this. I have a batch in the bucket but it will take ONE YEAR before I can drink it. I need a quick fix! Any thing drinkable in four weeks?
Thanks,
Need a drink

Nothing I know of that would be that quick except for a trip to the liquor store

John,

What wine do you have going? Generally, white wines are ready before reds. Also, the year that is recommended before drinking is not a hard and fast rule. I have several wines in various stages, none of which is more than 5 months into the process and several are "drinkable." They will improve with time, but at present they are okay, even some reds. Also, it is educational to try them as they mature to experience the process first hand.

The "wine cooler" kits (i.e., Orchard Breezin and Summer Breeze) aren't going to improve much (if at all) with age, so they will be ready to drink within two months. If you like the light sweet summer-y wines, then that's the ticket. And the time is right to get some made now for the June-July August timeframe.

But if you were hoping to make elegant, silky, hearty reds in 2-3 months, then you're out of luck. Those are the ones that take 1-2 years. I just had the last bottle of a MM Alljuice Caberlot (cabernet-merlot blend) that I bottled in June 2009 - really good, although it tasted about the same last fall; much better than it did in the first year, however.

lol, Waldo is correct. Quick trip to the wine store.
smiley4.gif

I took the advice from others here to make a couple of kits that were early drinking kits and a couple of kits that need a year or more. That way you can build your stash of wines and have something to drink while waiting for the others to age.
And yes, Safeway has a wonderful 10% discount when you buy a 6 pack of various wines.
smiley4.gif

I bought a Cabernet Sauvignon - Chilean Mosti Mondial from FineWines.com. I'm at phase two and will degass today. I did call 1-800-mondail for advice. Very helpful!
They said it will be drinkable in two months???? What do you think?
Hell, I drink a bit while a go.
I want to order another kit today. I'm looking at the all juice
Rojo Encantando with Raisins. Has anyone tried this? Three more questions. When I lees today should I use a cheese cloth or a strainer? When I top off the wine, should I use Cabernet Sauvignon? How much should I spend on the top of bottle?
Yes, I've made a couple trips to Kroger.
Thanks for your comments,
John

If you are talking about the all juice masters rojo encantando - I've made that one and its a very smooth, wonderful wine. Been a while since i've opened a bottle so I may need to try some more soon.
When topping off any wine you make just make sure you use a like wine and it's a wine you would drink normally and not spend your life savings on - think inexpensive table wine.
What kit did you make? That will help determine how long the wine needs to age. Keep in mind there is a difference in a drinkable wine and one that is properly aged. I find most kits need at least a year to age and many need more. On your first batches don't be afraid to taste some as they age and mature. You will at one point make enough that allowing them the time to age is easy because you've made so much you have lots of choices.

All juice masters rojo encantando is the one I'll order it today. Cabernet Sauvignon - Chilean Mosti Mondial Renaissance is what I'm making now. I might have to drink a bottle two months from now. Thirsty!
Thanks for the help.

John, as an alternative to topping off, some of us use sterile (soaked in K-meta solution and rinsed) glass marbles in the carboy to take up the volume. It is inexpensive, reusable and does not contaminate your wine with another. Just a suggestion.

I ended up ordering Meg Shiraz (Australian Style) wine. I guess, I'll wait till next year to have a drink.

jprince0562@yah said:
I ended up ordering Meg Shiraz (Australian Style) wine. I guess, I'll wait till next year to have a drink.

You'll need to wait at least a year! Pick up a mist kit & add sugar to 1080 or so and it'll give you something to drink while the good stuff is aging.

John,

Here is another suggestion that someone made to me. Get a supply of 375 ml bottles, maybe 12-24, fill them and then put the remainder in 750 ml bottles. As I suggested earlier on this post, the wine will be "drinkable" in a few months and it will definitely improve with a year or two in the bottle. You can crack a 375 ml every month or two to see how it is developing.

Latest posts

Back