How long to wait after sanitizing equipment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analog_kidd

Reaction score
I was wondering how long you should wait after sanitizing equipment (hydrometers, thiefs, spoons, etc.) with k-meta before you use them. I've been using them pretty much right away, maybe a minute before using, but not much more than that.

Are the creepies killed on contact or does it take a few minutes to really work?

I use them right away,I just make sure my sanitizer is desolved. I'm using the no rince formula.

I assume that you are using k-meta.

My understanding is that the active "killer" in k-meta is the sulfur dioxide gas that is either trapped in solution or is emitted to the surrounding area. I think that it is not like alcohol that kills on contact and takes a little bit of time to work. (I am not 100% sure of this, but this is my understanding)

I usually give it a minute or two before use.

for me it normally is not an issue as i set my equipment up in a bucket of solution before i get ready to take care of my activities, and as i use a piece of equipment, i give it a good rinse and back into the bucket right away, pulling it out of the solution as needed during my processes that day.....

I'm like Dan when using k meta. Spray it well with a stinky solution and you're good, is my idea.

If using One Step or another cleaner/sanitizer, I allow two minutes of contact time or whatever the maker says it takes.

Back