how long to keep sanitizer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
How long do y'all keep sanitizer?
I make up a gallon, put some in a spray bottle and tend to keep it longer and longer. I used to make a new gallon for every kit, but with 6 kits going at one time I just reuse it till it's gone. The sprayer seems to make it last much longer. The only time I actually pour any down the drain is after rinsing bottles prior to bottling.

Take a whiff of the bottle when you open it. If it knocks you on your a** it is still good. Mine lasts several months in a sealed jug.

+1 on that!
smiley20.gif

Ah, yes, the old "sniff test" is the way to go.

As long as we are on the subject, let me ask how much k-meta you guys put in one gallon of water for sanitizing. I have seen recommendations of anywhere from 1 t. to 3 T. which is quite a range. What do you guys do?

Rocky said:
Ah, yes, the old "sniff test" is the way to go.

As long as we are on the subject, let me ask how much k-meta you guys put in one gallon of water for sanitizing. I have seen recommendations of anywhere from 1 t. to 3 T. which is quite a range. What do you guys do?

Always 3 tablespoons

Two ounces by weight, I think that is supposed to be the same as 3 Tbl.

My kitchen scale is only accurate to 0.5g. I could use my reloading powder scale, measuring out 771gr. It is accurate to 0.1gr. That, however, is way too much like work.

Peter, Wouldn't you worry about the saltpeter causing issues in the wine (taste) or after drinking the wine (in bed) if you used the reloader?!?!?
smiley2.gif

Latest posts

Back