How long is it good for?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferb

Reaction score
Doing some reading and I learned that the WE Eclipse is good in the bottle for only 3-4 years.. Thought wine lasted much longer.

where did you read/hear that? can you post the source? I thought eclipse was made for long term aging...

I personally found with my kit wines (mostly red RJS) after about 3 years they all start to taste the same.So my rule of thumb is "just drink em when they taste good!"

Here is a link to an older product guide.
http://vancouverwinemaking.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/product_guide.pdf

How long they can successfully improve actually depends on the bottle, cork, and storage conditions as mentioned above.

Cork

Use a high-quality cork. Natural corks are more expensive than agglomerated, but last much longer. Synthetic corks are an excellent alternative and will help to preserve your wine

Storage

The ideal temperature is between 7° C and 13° C (45° F – 55° F). You can store your wine as warm as 20° C (68° F) but keep in mind it will age faster as the temperature rises.

The temperature must be constant with little to no fluctuation. Keep your wine in darkness. Sunlight and ultraviolet light will damage the wine
over time.

The humidity should be 65% to 75%.

It could be related to the cork and storage conditions. CYA for WE. In order to age more than 3-4 years, you have to use a high quality cork #9 cork. A cheap #8 cork with a hand corker will not do. A cheap #8 or #9 cork will be tested getting past 1-2 years.

Last edited:
I agree with a high quality # 9 cork! I am having issues with a 2010 Elderberry wine going bad in the bottle, thought I had production issues. Turned out to be CORK issues. Finally noticed the bad, oxidized wine, had a different amalgamated cork than I am presently using. In all the bad bottles the corks were wet over 3/4s of the way to the top. The good bottles with my newer corks, the cork was wet for a 1/8 of an inch! All bottles store on their side, 68* 60% RH. Roy. Just say NO to cheap corks!

Would synthetic corks be better?

Nomacorc. However, natural cork will allow the wine to slowly oxidize, whereas Nomacorc is air tight. Some say the slow oxidation improves the wine. Top grade natural cork is really expensive.

Back