How long does your wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish

Reaction score
How long does your wine typically realease gas. I racked my apple cider a few weeks ago at 1.020 and that is where it is staying. Hasn't changed. But it is still bubbling every 20-30 seconds. Must be a lot of gas in it eh?

It's sweet wine. Why does it have to still be fermenting at 1.020? I have a sweet catawba that has been at 1.030 for the last 2 months and it taste good. It hasn't bubbled for months. My temperature is 65. I started the apple cider on November 12th.

Catfish, kick it up to around 75* if possible with a brewbelt or by moving to a warmer location. Also if you have a stir mix for your drill give your carboy a whirl with it to try and get the yeast working again.

Ok I will do that. What is the rule of thumb about the SG. Does it have to be below a certain level to be done working? There isn't finished wines above 1.020?

Ok I will do that. What is the rule of thumb about the SG. Does it have to be below a certain level to be done working? There isn't finished wines above 1.020?

I think if there is sugar the yeast will eat it.

It all depends on your starting sg and the type of yeast you are using. Most of my wines finish dry at between .992 - .996. Although I had one finish at 1.08 which is higher then some wines start at. This was a late harvest wine that is normally very sweet.

I used Cote De Blancs for the Apple Cider. The recipe is the very top apple cider recipe in the Recipes thread on here. I wonder why it hasn't changed from 1.020 but is still bubbling every 20 seconds? The recipe makes some pretty strong stuff. Around 15% it says. Maybe the alchohol kills the yeast at a certain SG?

I used Cote De Blancs for the Apple Cider. The recipe is the very top apple cider recipe in the Recipes thread on here. I wonder why it hasn't changed from 1.020 but is still bubbling every 20 seconds? The recipe makes some pretty strong stuff. Around 15% it says. Maybe the alchohol kills the yeast at a certain SG?

Sounds about right, the gas could be C02

It's sweet wine. Why does it have to still be fermenting at 1.020? I have a sweet catawba that has been at 1.030 for the last 2 months and it taste good. It hasn't bubbled for months. My temperature is 65. I started the apple cider on November 12th.

It could very well be finished, however, that is why I asked what the starting SG was. Generally when it is at that level it is still in an active fermenting stage unless the starting SG was very high to begin with. If that is the case, all the sugar may have been converted to alcohol and the yeast has died off. Finished wines can be that sg, that is a matter of taste.

Searching is not good, asking is.

I think searching is good to a point and its a starter. Just like reading the tutorials, searching will give you some answers but it will also give you just enough information to ask more intelligent questions based on what you're doing at the moment. I am not real keen on a lot of searches after spending a lot of time researching but like you said by asking I can usually get a quick answer. It was only by searching the internet and forums I came up with my own recipe for jalapeño and candy cane wines based off of other peoples experiences.

Latest posts

Back