How long do corks last?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurfe

Reaction score
Hey all, I know that corks are packaged with some type of gas in the bag when they are prepared for shipping. One I open that bag, how long are the corks good? Do they dry out quick or does it take forever? Just wondering.

I need to get some more but didn't know if I should buy the 30 packs or keep buying the hundred pack. Will a bag opened last say 6 months? I dunno if this has been discussed here and didn't have time to search. I am at work and actually having to work today
smiley19.gif

Thanks

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Agglomerate corks, if kept in a sealed container and away from heat, will keep indefinitely. If you have a temperature controlled house and keep the temperature below 80, you should be fine.

Natural corks will only keep 6-12 months.

I buy corks by the 100s. Once I open a bag, I stick what I don't use in a cork humidor, which is a plastic bucket with a tight fitting lid on it. In that bucket, I've stuck a small bottle with a strong k-meta solution in it. Just don't stick your nose down by it when you remove the lid.

I've done this with agglomerated and twin disk corks with no problems. And I just use them straight from the bucket when the time comes. You just have to remember to replace the k-meta solution every once in a while to keep it fresh.

Smurf:

Outside the bottle, I would go with what George says.

However I know in my house, once in the bottle, corks have a life of about 30 days before developing a corkscrew hole right down the center of them
smiley36.gif

MedPretzel said:
Funky Fish said:
Just don't stick your nose down by it when you remove the lid.

You speak from experience?!?
smiley2.gif
smiley36.gif

It only takes one lungful of "wondering whether the solution is still good" to make you be cautious thereafter.
smiley36.gif

Funky is right! Do it once and you will be extremely cautious from then, on.

Back