How long did your Rhubarb take to clear?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winegirl

Reaction score
It's been almost a month since I added superkleer to my rhubarb, it cleared a little bit, but that was it. Looks like pink milk. I added enzyme in the beginning, and waiting before adding the kmeta. It was thoroughly degassed using a vacuum up to 22. I've read it takes a while to clear. What is everyone's experience with theirs?

MY rhubarb cleared fairly quickly although I could not tell you if it took two or three months to clear or more but I don't usually bottle my wines sooner than about 6 months. I add bentonite during the primary fermentation to encourage the fruit to drop out of suspension.

My first batch of Rhubarb wine took a year to clear. My second batch, which is in a carboy, is still cloudy after 4 months. I am thinking of putting it outside one of these evenings that it is only going to get down to 45F or so to see if that helps. I tried bentonite on my first batch, did not seem to do much.

Cleared fast like all the rest. Pectic enzyme up front. Sparkolloid to clear.

I let my wines clear 6 weeks but lite rly overnight a huge difference. Give it a few weeks and rack off of sediment then let it clear more while aging.

Another option is to try sparkolloid if it doesn't clear any more.

Keep it room temperature.

Thanks for your input everyone. I may end up trying some sparkolloid. Superkleer usually does the trick, it worked great on the blueberry. I'm ok with waiting as well, just get curious when it doesn't act like the others have.

My rhubarb took bentonite, then sparkelloid... then bentonite again. Finally cleared up.

My rhubarb took bentonite, then sparkelloid... then bentonite again. Finally cleared up.[/QUOT

Started adding bentonite at the start of fermentation this past year. It seems to work well with some of the wines almost clear when done with fermentation. Haven't tried it with rhubarb tho.

Latest posts

Back