How little I really know, part due

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homer

Reaction score
Are testing kits a required part of successful wine making? Which one are really needed? Are inexpensive ones good enough for home use? bk

Yes and No. If you start off with professionally packaged juice and you know what you are doing you can make a very good wine.
Making wines from other various sources you need kits to test for acid, sulfites etc. You can taste and adjust for acid but that can be difficult and as for sulfites, too much and you have an odd taste, not enough and your wine risks an early demise in the bottle, if not the carboy.

Kits are easy and from time to time even I become lax. Shame on me. Each kit only takes a few minutes and an ounce of wine.

Nothing can be more heartbreaking than haveing a long awaited batch of wine turn bad on you. The best way to ensure good results is to test your wine for the appropriate level of acid. For $8, then usual cost of a titration kit, you can save youself from this heartache.

Kits are a no brainer for most. Wine from anything else you will need other testing equipment and chemicials.

Kits are a no brainer for most. Wine from anything else you will need other testing equipment and chemicials.

Even so, I would still test them. It costs you 3CCs of wine and only a couple of minutes of time. If you catch one needing adjustment, it will be well worth it.

Even so, I would still test them. It costs you 3CCs of wine and only a couple of minutes of time. If you catch one needing adjustment, it will be well worth it.

Free SO2 on kits - yes, if you don't use the 1/4 teaspoon every 3 months method.
You would never want to try to adjust the TA or PH of a wine kit before fermentation. There is magic in those kits, so everything will end up good in the end.

However, you can adjust TA and PH after stabilization and before bottling. Most people just don't bother doing it with kits.

Before bottling, I take a sample of my kit wine and try adding a little more acid to taste and maybe some tannin to taste. With kits, I never measure TA, I just go by taste. If I do adjust tannins, I let it set for a month and rack it again before bottling.

Free SO2 on kits - yes, if you don't use the 1/4 teaspoon every 3 months method.
You would never want to try to adjust the TA or PH of a wine kit before fermentation. There is magic in those kits, so everything will end up good in the end.

However, you can adjust TA and PH after stabilization and before bottling. Most people just don't bother doing it with kits.

Before bottling, I take a sample of my kit wine and try adding a little more acid to taste and maybe some tannin to taste. With kits, I never measure TA, I just go by taste. If I do adjust tannins, I let it set for a month and rack it again before bottling.

I do not suggest adjusting prior to fermentation. I am speaking in the context of longevity. Acid should be check once fermentation is complete to ensure that the wine will not oxidize or spoil.

I do not suggest adjusting prior to fermentation. I am speaking in the context of longevity. Acid should be check once fermentation is complete to ensure that the wine will not oxidize or spoil.

I hear you. We all have our own way of doing things that work for us, individually. If it works, don't change it.

According to many past studies, the acid/PH levels should be checked and adjusted prior to the start of fermentation. There have been many studies and experiments done by true professionals and have proven one gets much better end results adjusting TA and PH before fermenting. The levels being correct during fermentation makes a big difference in the outcome of the fermentation.

Acid/PH should be checked again after fermentation with emphasis on how it actually tastes, more than just the actual acid/PH test readings.

Latest posts

Back