Cellar Craft How Early Do You Notice 'Kit Taste' Aroma

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only experienced KT in a few WE reds back about 3 years ago. Nothing since. I'd definitely say that the KT came from something in the must that (a) wasn't natural or (b) doesn't belong there, like dirt or other matter. From what I tasted I'd say it was a chemical additive. Since I experienced it in 2 Lodi Ranch Cabs and a Stags Leap Merlot, I have to conclude that the inclusion of whatever it is was done intentionally by the juice producers right before final packaging.

I've never experienced KT in anything but WE reds... which I stopped making 3 years ago. Never have I tasted even a hint of KT in a Cellar Craft, RJ Spagnols or Mosti Mondiale kit.

I found a non-destructive fix for KT... I added 1-2 bottles to each red kit I made just before bottling. It reduces the amount of KT to such a low threshold level we couldn't taste it, and the small change in blend was not distinguishable either.

Geronimo,

I've made kits from all of those suppliers plus a few of others. All my reds have this slightly metallic, blood like, pungent taste (poor description but that's the best I can do). It varies in intensity from one wine or another but it's always there at some level, and it's the same specific taste.

I know its not from my equipment, I know its not oxidation related, I'm confident its not my process... but beyond that, I don't have a clue.

Geronimo,

I've made kits from all of those suppliers plus a few of others. All my reds have this slightly metallic, blood like, pungent taste (poor description but that's the best I can do). It varies in intensity from one wine or another but it's always there at some level, and it's the same specific taste.

I know its not from my equipment, I know its not oxidation related, I'm confident its not my process... but beyond that, I don't have a clue.

Are you using Diammonium phosphate (DAP, aka yeast engergizer)? What you describe sounds like stress in the yeast. The MM kits I've made include nutrient (they all SHOULD!).

If you aren't using DAP, try it. I have found some friends with the most sensitive palates I've ever heard of, and they correctly identify very minor flaws repeatedly... but no KT from those 3 kit makers.

Good idea. Thanks.

I have used DAP once or twice but really didn't associate it with the KT issue at that time... but wasn't looking for an association at that point.

Now if I just had your friends close by... :h

Back