How do I pull off a pump over?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waygorked

Reaction score
Having seen shockingly good results from my first run at whole grapes this year, I'm gearing up for next season. I want to do about a 30 gallon batch of Pinot. I'm expecting that I'll be using multiple fermenters, and ultimately maybe a 30 gallon flex tank, then some time in a 30 gallon Vadai barrel.

I really want to try 100% whole cluster fermentation with pump overs instead of punch downs. I have no idea how to pull this off. Does that require a specific must pump, or can I get away with a vacuum pump? Or is there another option I'm not seeing?

A vacuum pump will not work for pump overs without a lot of extra steps. You just need a pump that will pump liquids along with a screen at the bottom of the fermenter to screen out all but the juice. Really though for only 30 gallons a simple punchdown tool will be a lot easier.

Agree. You can be gentle with your punch downs if you are trying to keep your berries intact. In my experience, pumping must with a small pump like a Shurflo is difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

For 30 gallons, I would go with a primary with a spigot 1-2 inches from the bottom. place the primary on a raised platform.

To "pump-over", just open the spigot and fill a 5 gal bucket with wine, then pour the wine over the cap. Repeat as many times as needed.

You could also use 2 buckets, one filling, while another is being poured over the cap.

Latest posts

Back