How do I induce MLF?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve_G

Junior
Reaction score
I've had some batches of wine undergo mlf (I think) all by itself, and others that didn't. There's been a definite improvement when it does occur. Question is, is there a way for me to induce it? Also how can I be sure that it is occurring without taking a sample? I usually make small batches and don't have a lot to spare. Thanks for your input

Can't really verify that it is complete without taking a sample.. But the sample sizes are small for chromo paper. Typically the best way to induce MLF is via a MLB strain you buy from a supplier such as morewine. You would then follow the instructions on the MLB packet.

Usually this involves re hydrating with a MLB nutrient. Just be sure that the strain you buy is compatible with the SO2 and ABV of your wine.

MLF is caused by MLB (malo-lactic bacteria). If MLF is happening spontaneously, then you are truly lucky.

To induce MLF, most add malolactic bacteria culture. You can get these on line and differ in form. I personally like the freeze dried, direct inoculation strains that are out on the market.

Note: you will need to keep your kmeta level low or you will kill the malolactic bacteria (most are very sensitive to SO2). Levels not exceeding 30ppm is generally recommended (though it differs from mlb strain to mlb strain). You will also need to maintain a temp of, usually, 60 or 65 degrees F.

thanks guys. looks like I still have a lot to learn... Like I said, I'm fairly sure it has happened a few times (SG measured in the high .99s, then it started bubbling slowly again), but I'm not positive. I'll check my local supply stores for some MLB.

Can anyone give a guideline for how long to wait between SO2 treatment and MLB inoculation? I rashly treated a batch right after racking from primary to secondary, fearing mold. How long should I wait to introduce the MLB?

Latest posts

Back