how did you start winemaking?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How did you start winemaking?

• Taught or assisted by experienced family or friend

• Dove in solo using recipe found in print or online

• Researched from print or online before starting

Results are only viewable after voting.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The question "how did you start winemaking" popped up a few times recently, so I created this poll.

The question is how you started winemaking -- if you tried a recipe, had something not working, and found your way to WMT for help -- you still started solo.

Note: I selected simple, obvious responses. If there are other good responses, I can add them, but the software does not let me change or delete existing responses.

I found a home winemaking organization and worked with an experienced member as a part of a beginners group.
Cool!

The Utica-Rome area of NY has a large population of Italian descent, and they generally learned from previous generations. In 1984 I met the owner of a LHBS and he taught me a lot, and a few years later I was introduced to a larger group. That helped a lot.

My cousin and I volunteered to help a friend with a beer batch. Seemed like a lot of fun, so we checked out the LHBS and discovered wine making supplies. After a few batches of beer, we gravitated to wine. No internet back then (the dinosaur era) so we relied on the LHBS owner for advice. He got bulk juice in 60+g plastic barrels, not very good quality. My cousin eventually bailed, giving me all his equipment. The LHBS eventually went under.

Found a new LHBS and discovered higher quality juice buckets, game changer.

Later, joined WMT and it all changed again. Found lots of great advice. Tried a few kits. Started making fortified ports. Stepped up my game and I’m making really good wine, proud to give it out to friends.

The 2nd and 3rd choices seem almost the same to me. I started solo based on recipes and research that I found online. Before long I found WMT through my online searches, and learned a tremendous amount here.

What got me started is that my wife thought I would enjoy this hobby, so she convinced my two adult sons to get me a wine making kit for Christmas 2018. It was an equipment kit, not a wine kit with juice, so I still needed to find recipes and fruit. I don't think that any of could have guessed that 4 years later I would be making larger batches in a dedicated wine room.

I didn't want to make any more raspberry jam.
Followed the recipe in the little purple pamphlet but lurked here for a couple weeks first. This forum made me feel like maybe, just maybe, I could make wine.

Now I wonder if I can maybe, just maybe, ever stop! 😂
It would be interesting to know what the first wine was too. Raspberry is a gateway wine!

The 2nd and 3rd choices seem almost the same to me.
Think of it as the difference between having absolutely no clue what I'm doing versus having some idea.

I was the former -- found a recipe for Rhubarb wine, using rhubarb, water, sugar, and bread yeast. I had no idea when it was done ... picture completely cluelessness, and I was worse than that. 🤣

It took a few years, but I got a clue.

I used to brew beer years ago but quit because life got in the way. When I came down with covid and lost my hearing for several months I happened across some you tube videos about wine making that peaked my interest. I eventually found my way here and started making kits.

The information that I have been able to gain here has been amazing. The people here really make the forum enjoyable.

When Water2Wine was a big thing I went by their place. They gave me a full tour and I noted what they were doing and how. Bought one of their bottles as a 'Thank you', went home, looked it up on the interweb and here we are. Went by a LHBS in Austin where I got supplies and a WE kit. I later found George at FineVineWines and that's when it really took off.

Three buckets of free apples and lots of time (Covid). So I rescued my dads beginners kit from his basement and asked a friend who is an occasional wine maker. I think that was 2020.

Found WMT while looking for a wild Grape recipe in 2021. I have since far surpassed my friend in wine volume and knowledge, converted a fruit cellar into a wine cellar, planted a vineyard, and will have a dedicated wine making room by this winter… you know, easing into it 😂.

Think of it as the difference between having absolutely no clue what I'm doing versus having some idea.

I was the former -- found a recipe for Rhubarb wine, using rhubarb, water, sugar, and bread yeast. I had no idea when it was done ... picture completely cluelessness, and I was worse than that. 🤣

It took a few years, but I got a clue.
I did some research online before starting my first batch, so I guess that makes me #3. But some of the initial advice that I found online was really bad, such as to use 3 lbs. of fruit per gallon and to top off with boiled water. Needless to say, my very first wine tasted very watered down! It was terrible, but I bottled it anyway so that I could get some practice bottling. Later I dumped it out.

I had a bumper crop of blackberries. 35 lbs of blackberries what to do?

Wine!

Then my neighbor and I did additions at the same time that opened up a perfect spot for grapes.

I love my vines, I used to dread summers but now I can't wait for the vines to start growing.

As for this website, lots of good info, I just wish the growers section saw more traffic. So it goes.

I have been "involved" in winemaking since the late 1940's when I helped my grandfather, father and uncles make wine. It was an annual ritual and my first job was to strip the grapes from the stems, remove any leaves or other extraneous material and take my bucket to the crusher. We did this for a few years, but when Poppy passed in the early 1950's, the activity died with him. When we stopped making the wine, I believe I had worked my way up to the job of crusher operator (manual) and barrel topper, which was to keep the wine up to the top of the bung hole and wipe off any overflow. I did this before school and after school from about the third week of October until the first part of December, when the barrels were bunged.

My bride and I married in 1965 and her father was a very gifted and experienced wine maker. I was 23 at the time and began to work with him annually and we made about 50 to 75 gallons a year. He taught me the real intricacies of wine making as up until that time I was only manual labor. I continued with him every year, even when we moved from Pittsburgh. I would come back on the wine making weekend to assist.

I started making wine on my own at my home in 1989 when we moved to Rochester, NY. Local grapes and fruits were plentiful and wine grapes from California were too. We lived across the street from a winery in Fairport, NY and I became friends with the owner, who also happened to be our builder. I even did volunteer work at the winery for about 5 years while also making my own in my basement.

When we moved to Ohio, I sold all my equipment and was not going to make wine here. However, my daughter and her family spent a long weekend in Michigan and she brought home a few gallons of fresh Michigan cherry juice and asked me to make some wine for her. (I had made cherry wine in Rochester) I went to a local wine making shop to pick up some basic supplies and while I was there I saw the 18 liter kits. I bought one and, as the saying goes, the rest is history.

My wife gave me a kit for Christmas that came with some basic tools and instruments, and I was immediately hooked. I tried making wine from local grapes using recipes and information from some online places, but recipes just can’t compete with mother nature’s variations and recipes don’t really teach one why you’re doing what you’re doing. That first attempt at winemaking from grapes turned out ok in the end, despite my attempts... LOL Somehow I made it here and it has made all the difference. Both of my grandfathers made wine out in Ohio, and my uncle does as well. We both also make an annual concord from replanted family vines out of tradition. Both my son and daughter help when they’re around, and family loves to come over and help too. The next step is going to be barreling. At some point. Not sure when yet… maybe in retirement.

I had a friend (outlaw family member as well) who is proficient at everything. (Violin making, languages, woodworking etc) who made wines. He even made a mango wine from mango Snapple. I watched him and even wrote down directions. I never tried because I needed to buy nutrient, pectic enzyme, yeast etc. he made up a little kit for me with those things one time. I started a batch with what I had (fresh mango) without hydrometer etc. It was drinkable, actually pretty good. Plus it was fun.
I found this site looking for a little info on bottling etc, and was hooked. You guys are great !

i even got my daughter hooked now. She started with kits but made her first dandelion this year. She occasionally face times to ask what am I doing wrong, (most times I ask did you check your hydrometer, and am told ”ugh, no”)

so maybe a kit is the way to get people hooked. And think about a little starter kit to give to friends who ask how do you make that.

Back