WineXpert How can I create a Heavier Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmahoney

Reaction score
My husband has boughten two 46 oz. cans of Grape Juice Concentrates. One is to produce Pinot Noir and the other Cabernet Sauvignaon. Five gallons each. I like my wines more to the heavy side, and am afraid that these 5 gallon wine making concentrates will make more of a wine cooler, so I haven't attempted to start these wines ( my husband is wondering why I haven't started his gift). It requires to add 13 containers (cans)of water, that sounds like a lot. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can make these heavierwithout insulting my husband and returning the cans.Do I purchase a couple more cans of the same product and follow the receipe from the one can method? My husband doesn't drink wine and so it was a nice gester on his part for my newly found hobby. Thanks for anyone's help!
smiley5.gif

What brand concentrate did you get? What a nice present to get. Do you have the directions for the wine on the can? The canned juices I have done say for a light wine do 1 can , for a heavier wine do 2 cans and for a full bodied wine use 3 cans. Unles instructed otherwise on the can, you could use 1 can in a 3 gallon batch(might need a 3 gallon carboy, but they are useful anyway). You could also ge some oak cubes or powder and use them also to make it more robust. Good luck
smiley20.gif

Thanks! Sun Cal Vineyards Premium California Grape Juice Concentrate is the brand of concentrate that he has bought.Yes the're directions are on the can, but nothing said about adding additional cans for a full bodied wine. No additional instructions except for this 5 gallon wine. So, if I would go to the 3 gallon carboy; would I divide the 5 gallon instuction ingredients to a 3 gallon carboy? Yes, I would need to purchase a 3 gallon carboy. I like the idea of the oak cubes/poweder, I never thought about it. Thanks!Edited by: jsmahoney

If the directions are for a 5 gallon batch, make the 5 gallon batch. Some like Alexander's Sun Country have directions for a light ,medium and full bodied wines with 1,2 or 3 cans per batch. Check the SG of the juice after water is added to make sure it is about 1.080 after you add all the ingredients they say. If it is about that, you should be fine. I would add oak to both those batches. Even if they don't turn out perfect(which they probably will), they will be great wines because they were given to you by someone special. Make them,learn and enjoy them.
smiley4.gif

Isma,

Follow the directions to the letter, and see how it comes out. If the flavor is right, but the body is lacking you can add an additional can next time.

Also,make sure you stir the daylights out of the concentrate and water to get it completely blended together. As appleman suggested, I too would add oak. You can either addoak chips or dust to the primary fermentation, or bulk age onchips or cubes. If you addoak during bulk aging, taste pretty regular and rackyour wine off the oak when you get the right amount.

Good luck

Thanks Appleman and pkcook; I will add some oakto the batch. The S.G. on the can reads 1.075. Any suggestions on how much oak? I feel confident now that things will be alright.
smiley4.gif

jsmahoney said:
Thanks Appleman and pkcook; I will add some oakto the batch. The S.G. on the can reads 1.075. Any suggestions on how much oak? I feel confident now that things will be alright.
smiley4.gif

Time is at once the most valuable and most perishable of all our possessions.

I have made a few wines from SunCal concentrate, 1 can does make 5 gallons. I think they are a little on the thin side, but make a very drinkable wine. My Wife loves the Lambrusco, and has made several of them. I have added some oak to a couple varities, and it seemed to help some. You could also add a handfull of raisins, or a few bananas to the primary.
Dave

Thanks! I feel confident now that it will be fine. I will take all your adivse and add the oak, handfull of raisins sounds good too. Not to confident about the banana, but thought maybe a stickof vanilla might add some flavor and aroma too. Thanks all for your adivse!
smiley4.gif

You asked how much oak to add. Generally about 3 ounces of oak cubes for bulk aging is appropriate, otherwise about 60 grams of oak powder during primary fermentation, after which you can add oak cubes for aging. Be sure to taste every couple of weeks!

Thank You! I have ordered oak chips and oak cubes. I didn't order the oak powder, but have used it in my last/previous wine kit. My girlfriend and I had a blast making it. Thought we were adding dirt to our mixture. I have ordered vanilla beans to add to the wine, and will add some raisins as suggested from Dave. I have boughten in our local store a wine that has such an aroma of vanilla it is awsome. I'm hoping I can require the same effect. Thanks for all yourGreat Help everyone!
smiley17.gif

Latest posts

Back