WineXpert How big of a problem? Fining added too soon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctandcf1

Junior
Reaction score
Here's the facts. Relative newbie - on 8th kit. Have made Carmenere, Pinot Grigio, Viognier, RQ Shiraz/Viognier, RQ Monastrell/Petit Verdot (in bulk), LE Pinot Noir (in bulk), Moscato, and a Chardonnay (in secondary - using battonage) Happy with the results of all. Current problem is with a WinExpert Cabernet Franc Ice Wine. First wine to make with chaptalisation.

Here's my excuses. My granddaughter (somewhat recently obtaining legal drinking age) expressed an interest in the process so how could I not ask her to help me out. I explained the chaptalisation step and asked her to hand me the packet. She handed me the chitosan packet (OK - both start with CH in our defense) and without hesitation I added it to the hot water and stirred it in. I discovered the problem when she dipped her finger into the measuring cup and expressed surprise that it wasn't sweet. I then added the correct packet.

So how big a problem is this of adding the fining agent way too early? Anything I can/should do? If OK to proceed, would it be necessary to stir it frequently (daily?) to stop the yeast from dropping out? Should I still add a fining agent later on? Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Chris

You're still fermenting, so the CO2 in the wine will keep it from clearing too much. I'd be sure to stir at least daily to keep the solids suspended. Other than that, I don't know that it will be too much of an issue.

Latest posts

Back