how and when to use super kleer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M/S, I found that every time I rack the wine, I'm also degassing at the same time. Like Mike said, it removes the CO2, thus making the clearing much quicker. Before vacuuming, I know that part of the problem was moving the carboy to enable a gravity feed to the next carboy, so with the vacuum, there's absolutely no disturbing the sediment on the bottom. No matter how easy I was with the moving, it always seemed to pull some of the sediment to the new.

I also made a 1/2" PVC racking tube with a couple of holes drilled near the bottom on the sides, and a cork in the bottom, so I don't have to worry about the suction tube getting too close to the sediment.

I think you have adopted a good racking strategy. But keep in mind that fining is not the answer to poor racking. In fact it takes an excellent racking strategy to rack off finings without creating a different problem.
Malvina

After you stir to degas, you'll allow it time to re-settle before racking it off the sed. At least then, you won't be fighting the CO2 that was in there.

Campden tablets can work? Right?? Im not too good with measurements so if i can use campden, then how many tablets for a five gallon batch?

Campden tablets can work? Right?? Im not too good with measurements so if i can use campden, then how many tablets for a five gallon batch?
The tablets can work but they are not pure K meta. How good do you have to be to measure a baking measurement level 1/4 teaspoon for 5 gallons to achieve 40ppm?
Malvina

Ohh ok just a teaspoon ok sounds good... do i add it at the same time that i add fining l? Do i need to add anything else before backsweetening? Sorry im asking so much i just want it right..

Ohh ok just a teaspoon ok sounds good... do i add it at the same time that i add fining l? Do i need to add anything else before backsweetening? Sorry im asking so much i just want it right..

1/4 teaspoon for 5 gallons prior to racking off finings. and or each time you rack but no more than 3 times.
Malvina

Back