Horror story~!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
This weekend I went to visit a buddy who in his own words "has been making wine for 22 years".

He is the type that gets fresh pressed juice or juice pails and pours them into demijohns, puts an airlock on it and leaves it in his garage for a year or two, allowing the wine to be at the mercy of the temps, it goes from hot, to cold in the fall and winter, then hot again, which is fine if that is what you enjoy.
He laughs at me for testing and stabilizing the wine, yeast isn't even a consideration, he told me that he doesn't think that all of the "scientific" stuff is necessary.

He asked me if I wanted to go see where he makes wine and sample his wine(s) in progress....Well OF COURSE!!!!

He brought me over to his garage, when he opened the door there were 7 - 15 gallon Demijohns, 4 -5 gallon Carboys, and 6- 1 Gallon bottles with airlocks on them.

The first thing that I notice is that just about all of the airlocks have juice/wine in them, caked up and spilled over onto the airlocks and bungs, none of the airlocks have caps on them, and the bungs are starting to get moldy, and all of the bottles are covered in a light dirt/dust from the garage.

I take a closer look and I notice that this wine/juice sludge that has passed through the airlocks has also gone back into the demijohns (at least 2 of them) and has run down the neck inside the demijohn, leaving a sludge on the inner neck.....
Then to my horror....I see mouse droppings on the bungs and even on the airlocks....

I couldn't contain myself any longer, I told him that the resident mice were climbing up and dipping their tails in the wine sludge caked airlocks and eating the sludge, I insisted that he change the bungs and airlocks, clean and sanitize them with meta and add meta to the new, cleaned airlocks.
He tried to tell me that it didn't matter and that it would only over flow again (well Duh...just as soon as the temps come back up in the spring, fermentation will restart...)...I insisted and found a bag full of brand new still sealed airlocks and a jar of K-Meta...score!

I cleaned the bungs, I wanted to puke just thinking of the mouse turds on them (where they crap, they also pee...tons of potential diseases), I soaked them in a meta solution, sanitized the new airlocks and filled will a meta solution. In the mean time, I had him clean the sludge from the inside of the neck of the demijohns with a paper towel soaked in the meta solution and squeezed out to dry.
I tried to get him to stabilize the wine with meta...no dice.

he has over 100 gallon jugs filled with wine from past years, most of which were sealed with screw caps, and a few 750 ml bottles with corks that are dried out, in the garage.

He grabbed 4 or 5 bottles to sample, but at this point I was mortified and trying to find a polite way to tell him that I just couldn't taste his wine after what I had just experienced, too late..he was real excited to open them.
Every bottle that he opened that was over a year old tasted like sherry, it had been oxidized due to the caps getting rusty and not doing their job, or bottles that were corked and stored improperly, the corks had dried out and oxygen got in.

Just when I thought I had seen it all...we go into his house where he was making a Pinot Noir Kit that given to him, I had to basically yell at him 2 weeks ago when he first got it, he was going to just dump the juice in a carboy and walk away...I had to keep telling him just how important it is to follow the Kit directions to the letter, he tells me that he didn't add the water to it as the directions stated, but after a brief lecture from me on following the instructions, he was going to add the water to the carboy remember, he does everything in demijohns and carboys, no fermenting buckets, I tell him that he will probably need to siphon it into a bigger container so he can mix it up real well, he looks at me an grabs a long metal measuring stick wipes it off and sticks it in the carboy and starts to stir the snot out of it.....

It is a shame to see that much wine go to waste, but to be honest, he will drink it, this is what he is use to.

Moral of the story....NEVER DRINK WINE AT THIS DUDES HOUSE...LMAO!

So there you have it, my horror story.

Tom

OMG!!!!....i can totally understand where you are coming from....it sounds like you, as i was also taught, that rule number 1 when making wine (or beer as it may be) is SANITATION, SANITATION, SANITATION....and even after everything you read on this forum about testing, balancing, and keeping everything clean, to see this person go completely against all of it, it kinda turns your stomach....i have heard of people making wine the "old world" way, but they normally even have standards and forms of cleanliness that they follow...this guy just sounds insane....lol....

....i have heard of people making wine the "old world" way, but they normally even have standards and forms of cleanliness that they follow...this guy just sounds insane...

Drinking too much (or any) mouse-turd wine can have that effect on you...

Drinking too much (or any) mouse-turd wine can have that effect on you...

perhaps it must be the toxins from the excrement being ingested....lol...maybe it has a hallucinagenic quality to him....lol....can't believe he doesn't follow ANY of the common agreed upon practices for making wine....it is true we all may differ in one way or another, but for the most part there are certain guidelines we all try to follow...

And here I was this morning, agonizing over whether I had left the new wine on the gross lees too long (pressed on Oct. 27, racked this AM, Nov. 6). I guess by his standards, I was way too early!

I was truly mortified, I am a sanitizing fanatic.
Yes I agree about making wine the old school way, some of the best wineries in Italy don't use yeast, and some chemicals, but they are extremely clean and sanitized.
At some point you have to look around and say..."DAMN, I need to clean this place up".
I'll do my best to try to get him to make even just one batch of wine the right way, but as long as he makes it in his garage without any controls, there isn't a chance in hell that I'll ever sample his wine again...LOL

My background is as a social scientist and I was taught to always try to understand the actions of people from their perspective rather than from my own (or from the perspective of some other group) and I guess that while I would not want to make anything the way your friend does - and certainly not wine, my sense is that in the middle ages in Europe most people would have made their wine not too differently from the way your friend is making it. We want our fermentation to result in what we call wine and we want the processes involved to be measured and under our control as much as possible . But some folk are simply happy to ferment juice and drink it. In the same way that some folk spend hours and a small mortgage grooming the ground outside their homes and creating a lawn which they feed and then trim and feed and trim while others are simply happy when something green grows. I am not sure that one way is right and the other wrong or one way is good and the other bad.. Which is not to say that I would be very interested in tasting your buddy's liquor

BernardSmith,
I agree to a certain point, my friend is a very happy go lucky type, always happy, always laughing, and yes, maybe he is such a free spirit that he doesn't get into the details of monitoring wine. He is a very nice guy, very clean, and maybe that is why I am so shocked. The wine tastes great now as it is fermenting, but after I saw all of the mouse droppings, my mind won't let me enjoy it...lol, but little things like not using dirty utensils and just basic cleanliness has been instilled into us since we were young, I see your point about how they probably made wine in the middle ages, but they also had an average life expectancy of 35 yrs old...lol...but you are right, to each his own
It is a real shame about all of the wine that is going bad due to oxidation.

Tom

Last edited:
Yeeech... I'm sorry but after seeing what you described there's no way in heck I'd ever sample any of that "wine." I'd have to politely but firmly refuse. Honestly, my stomach turned while I read your post.

It's just like I say, anyone can make wine, but it takes just a little skill to make good wine. Or in this case, something you'd actually want to drink.

I can understand people make wine in certain ways that may be different from me but I can't understand seeing mouse turd near your wine and still wanting to drink it. I found some fruit flies in my airlocks and cleaned and sanitized them. People did a lot of things in the middle ages that I would not consider any more. Too many to list on here actually.

The problem is that there's no way to know if the alcohol level is high enough to prevent getting sick from that stuff. And mouse poop has nasty stuff in it anyway.

In my opinion, even though there were probably people in the past making wine like this, I would bet money they were the exception, not the rule, even then.

It's insulting to our winemaking ancestors to think of them as just like this. My guess is that the good ones used every resource at their disposal to make the best wine they could. If they were alive today, they would be just like us, using the latest technology to make better wine.

There are people that preserve ancient methods for posterity, and that's really interesting, but there are also people who have the attitude of "well they didn't do this or that in the old days, so I'm not going to either". Those people are wrong, winemaking is an evolving art/science and 100 years ago they were using the latest knowledge, just as they were 200, 300, or 9000 years ago. Of course, "latest knowledge' is relative their time.

Good and bad results drive winemaking, if our ancestors made a bad batch, they would probably try to do something different next time. If it was good, they would try to reproduce it.

Last edited:
They didn't used to wash hands before performing surgery back in the old days, either, and if they were lucky the patient would live. But if we know that sanitizing works better than not sanitizing, why not do it? Same with those who don't pitch any yeast and let the wild yeast ferment their wine. If you know you're going to get particular results from a particular yeast, why not do it instead of going for a crap shoot with wild yeast?

What those kind of people don't realize is that in the "old days" they didn't always get a good batch of wine, either. Sometimes they'd put a lot of hard work into making wine only to have a bad batch. But by using all our current knowledge of wine making, I'm able to get consistent good results.

Last edited:
What those kind of people don't realize is that in the "old days" they didn't always get a good batch of wine, either. Sometimes they'd put a lot of hard work into making wine only to have a bad batch. But by using all our current knowledge of wine making, I'm able to get consistent good results.

This is very true. It was hit and miss. Even after sulfites were found to prolong the age of wine, not everyone jumped in and used it.

These habits, which promote oxidation, are what brought about madeira and possibly even sherry, too. (I am just guessing about sherry.)

Madeira is allowed to oxidize, but that doesn't mean it is not allowed to do so in a sanitary manner.

It is possible some of your friend's wines could have tasted, well, OK (maybe). When wines enter an oxidative stage and come out on the other side, some very nice things can happen to the wine. This happened accidentally to a bottle of port. I drank half of it, then put a stopper in it and put it away in the cabinet... for a year!!! When I accidentally found it, it was almost black and smelled oxidized. I decided to take a taste and was very surprised. It was not at all like any port I had ever tasted. I have never tasted Madeira or sherry, but I am guessing the taste of that port was something like they might taste.

At least my half bottle of port was well sealed and still sanitary. I also would have had a problem tasting the wine.

This thread is a good example of why I preach BEST PRACTICE methodology. Just as one, simple example, some don't understand why I say the wine thief should be sanitized each time it is used. Lots of places don't practice this but never have a problem. There are just-get-by practices and there are best practices... choose wisely. Not necessarily in the short, but in the long run, just-get-by will eventually bite you hard.

winemaking is an evolving art/science and 100 years ago they were using the latest knowledge, just as they were 200, 300, or 9000 years ago. Of course, "latest knowledge' is relative their time.

I couldn't have said it better!

Dan, nope he is in NY.

People also used to die much much earlier also and if the old timers made wine "Exactly" this way then I totally understand why they didnt last that long! Thats just plain nasty!!!! I understand if you dont want to add yeast and the funny thing is most of the people who dont buy buckets and dont even know that most of those are pre inoculated with the exact yeast we would add! LOL They also say Im not adding and sulfate as they are sitting there eating a Slimjim. That thing has more sulfates and stuff in there then about 36 gallons of our sulfated wine!!! Some are just ignorant, some are just no smart enough and some are just set in there old ways. The later is fine with me, the other 2 just annoy me!

I have to agree.
I almost didn't post this out of respect for a long time friend, it was supposed to be more of a "Holy Lord, look what some people are doing" type of thread,I just couldn't get over what I saw.
He is absolutely one of the "just set in there old ways." Types.

Latest posts

Back