Hope I bottled correctly

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tovis

Reaction score
So most of my wines had ec 1118 and had a speedy fermentation. I noticed they dried out and checked the hydrometer and everything said what it was supposed to. I even racked a few times and dropped some potassium metabilsulfate in to prevent oxidation.

Prior to bottling, I racked one last time put a strong batch of metabilsulfate into the bottles and swished them around and dumped i figured it would be good to have some added protection. Alcohol levels are strong for these probably above 10%. So I tossed in the sorbate the bottle said and even added a little extra just in case.

I bottled everything fast and sanitized everything. I just hope not to have any fizz even worse any corks pop off.

It is winter in Michigan now, i can easily set my bottles outside to freeze.

Am I worried about nothing?

Everything seems fine. I would be careful about outside during the winter. You could easily freeze your wine with the low abv if it is not insulated by snow.

Tovis:

No mention of degassing. Otherwise sounds reasonable.

Steve

You don't mention back sweetening so really not sure why you added the sorbate.

Be careful about adding too much sorbate. It can give a bubble gum taste to your wine.

Did you drain your bottles after you put a concentrated KM solution in them? As above, sometimes a little extra isnt always good. You never mentioned what kind of wine you are bottling? WVMJ

Yes, I drained the bottles. It was about 1/4 teaspoon extra sorbate for 3 gallons. I did back sweeten. No gas was present, it all dissipated over time in the carboys.

That banana wine seems to have a slight fizz, but honestly I like it better. It adds a slight something to the wine that I enjoy.

Are you talking 2013 or 2014 wines? Racking a few times with 3 months between rackings sounds like 2013. If so, you've gone the extra mile. If you're talking about 2 or 3 months, then putting the carboys in some 20 some degree temperature for a few weeks might drop some additional sediment and crystals.

Latest posts

Back