Holy Cow!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hvac36

Reaction score
Back in March 2012 I made Welch's concord from concentrate and was not happy with it was very very tart, so Ive left it alone. Resampled in oct in yuck. Well was in wine room this morning and for the heck of it I sampled and OMG it has come a full 180 degree's!!! Tartness is gone and has a nice oaky flavor and the finish is amazing... Will let this sit a few more months and see where it goes....

Just goes to show you why we say never dump a wine until youve given it at least about a year.

And like Tom always says: Patience, Patience, Patience

Well was not going to toss it, worst case was mix it will something but I am truely amazed as to where this is heading.. Has awesome color and body for a Free wine. Have a friend in the frozen food biz and gave me a case of it...

Good to hear, I have been putting off trying this and I may give it a try this year.

Looks like at least 11 more months in the bottle for my welchs :) still a wee baby.

Looks like at least 11 more months in the bottle for my welchs :) still a wee baby.
Agree still very very young will let mine sit a few more months before bottling still in carboy collecting dust... :)

I was not impressed with my welches wine when it was young, but it definitely improved with age. I also found that it's even better if decanted before drinking.

I use 12 for a 3 gallon mix I think, added 2 more when I moved it to secondary. Finished dry then ajusted to 1.005ish

These results are not restricted just to wine from Welch's grape juice. This is a very common scenario; wine can change considerably over time from a monster to a very nice wine.

It can even take longer than 24 months for this to happen, so always be patient. One of my favorite kit wines was totally disappointing at 24 months, but came around in 28 months. It was so different that it was difficult to even believe it was the same batch.

For the heck of it I took 64 oz of white grape/peach removed some of the juice and added sugar to 1.085 and some Lavlin 71B yeast. Today I just poured in a half gallon carboy with an air lock. I had to improvise to get the air lock on the 64 oz bottle. Will just leave it there on the counter until it is ready to drink.
It has been perking along since about 2 hours after I added the yeast.

Just an experiment since I had quite a few 1/2 gallon carboys. No big loss if I have to pour it out......

IM HVAC CONTRACTOR IN NEW JERSEY...GLAD TO KNOW YOU.:b
Joe same here :b. Getting ready to retire soon hoping this summer if things go right. Will be my late 50 birthday present to myself lol.. :db

Latest posts

Back