Hill House Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrawhide

Reaction score
<a href="css_styles/default_style.css" target="_blank">Well, we were offered some grapes if we would pick them. Yeah!! So, 4 of us
plus the owner picked about 800# of italian varietals. Over 10 different. Was
not really enough for a good batch of anything so we decided to have a BIG
blend. Anyway, we are calling it Armonizzare Italiano.
This means Italian Blend. Hope it turns out as we all get a 5th
portion. Looks good so far Brix 24.5 Ph of 3.43 and TA .65. Coloring up good
too. So we will see and hope.
</a></font>css_styles/default_style.css</font>
<a href="css_styles/default_style.css" target="_blank">Anyway, here is the vineyard - nice setting and with white end posts makes
it look great. Also, varietal names on signs at each post. There an idea for
ya'll!!!
</font>
20090913_194836_hill_1.jpg

</a>
2 bins about full
20090913_195259_hill_2.jpg

crusher destemmer and must pump we were able to use - we crushed the 800# in 35 minutes but it took 2 1/2 hours to clean everything!! This equipment is at a different location - Bella La Vina Winery.

20090913_195446_hill_3.jpg

end post sign - like this for each varietal
20090913_195835_hill_4.jpg

Went back the next day and picked 1 white - this is a Russian White called Georgian Rkatsiteli. Interesting grape unique taste. We were able to get about 150# so we decided to hand process these. So here we are: first of all stripping the grapes (destemming)

20090913_201024_hill_5.jpg

and the crusher -

20090913_201221_hill_6.jpg

and Daisy - wine dog - grape thief

20090913_201718_hill_7.jpg

Man you guys have all the luck. What are you picking from 2 vineyards now?

yes Wade - well, you just can't say no. Deparo about 6 miles away and Hill House about 25 miles. They are talking about pushing out the hill house vineyard as they have too much trouble with wild turkeys and raccoons eating everything. They come in 2-3 times a day and make a mess. Turkeys walk and fly in - land on top of trellis wires and just make big holes and eat eat eat. OF course they wait until the sugar is up. The raccoons hit from the ground and we find lots of 1/2 bunches. Empty at bottom of cluster and berries at top. Last several years they got NO wine. This year they, at least, will get a 5th.

So with them having to irrigate - fertilize - weed control - mow - prune and no harvest - with no wine for the past several years - they are ready to get rid of the vineyard. This is a 30 year old vineyard and happens to be the one that I learned to make wine from over 20 years ago.

The 4 of us are considering taking over the vineyard management but depends what the owners want to do and want us to do. It is a long way to have to run up there every day though and my other friends are 30 miles farther so just do not know at this time. Would hate to see them push this over. Considering dogs!!!

Tons of fun - or at least about 800 pounds!

Have they netted the grapes? It really slows our wildlife down. If there is too much pressure, it might not work but if it hasn't been practices, it might be worth it.

Well, here is where we are now. We pressed the Rkatsiteli today and ended up with approx 10 gallons of juice. I have not done a white wine from scratch for many years and forgot how many more steps are involved. We pressed and filled the carboys up completely and will let rest overnight at 60 degrees. Tomorrow, I will siphon out the juice leaving any berries/pulp behind. They will be put into 2 or 3 - 5 gallon carboys and filling about 2/3rd's leaving lots of headspace. I will probably try 2 different yeasts and see what happens. Since we are working with juice you do not need an open primary as you do not have to punch down a cap but you do need lots of room for the fermentation. Anyway, here we go:

20090914_223214_hill_house_wine.jpg

Steve at the press

20090914_223635_hill_house_wine.jpg

and the juice - a 6.5 gallon and a 2.8 gallon full to cap.

20090914_223903_hill_house_wine.jpg

so that's all for today - we will keep this going

rrawhide

smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

Boy wish I had friends like yours !
Keep us updated on the progress. What was the Brix on these grapes.

hey tepe

brix was 25.5 ph 3.73

gotta go and get 'em goin'

have a good day

rrawhide

The red wine was ready to press today as the s.g. was under 1.0 so we had a good day.

Here is the next stage of the production:

This is a 100 gallon microbin after fermentation

20090916_210245_hill_house_wine.jpg

We used a bladder press - and never using one before it was great. This is a 1/2 ton unit and the bladder is filled with water to 25# pressure when you are ready to press. The bladder expands and juice forced out through the holes.

20090916_210025_hill_house_wine.jpg

we put a bag inside and the juice into it. The bladder you can see.

20090916_210750_hill_house_wine.jpg

and bucketing the juice - pour in top and 'free run' out the bottom
20090916_211036_hill_house_wine.jpg

that's 50 gallons of 'free run'
20090916_214625_hill_house_wine.jpg

we were filling carboys untill we ran out!!!
20090916_214841_hill_house_wine.jpg

so we went to a 57 gallon barrel and filled that

20090916_215055_hill_house_wine.jpg

and it's full

20090916_215752_hill_house_wine.jpg

and we're done - and did some barrel 'sticking' ie tasting - always fun!!

20090916_220001_hill_house_wine.jpg

and now it is in my wineroom - just waiting - will add 1 pound of french oak tomorrow and then maybe into neutral oak barrel in Dec./Jan. Victor put the barrel into my truck with a forklift and I used my tractor loader to get it out carefully. Gotta be about 600#. Wow!

20090916_220631_hill_house_wine.jpg

We are calling it Armonizzare Italiano which means Italian Blend.

We ended up with 85 gallons - 55 free run and 30 pressed. We pumped the 30 gallons into the blue barrel and then put the free run over the top. The rest of the juice is free run and we may keep separate. We are splitting this 5 ways. Lots of work - lots of fun - and good friends!!

All for now - do ya'll want this tread to continue? Hope you are enjoying what and how we do things.

rrawhide

20090916_220953_hill_house_wine.jpg

I think the thread is great. Keep it coming.

That press was just a bit of overkill, don't you think? Ha ha. It probably took longer to cleanthan to use it! But it is quick...............

You guys need a must pump so you don't need to bucket everything.

Great pictures!
Looks like you had a full day and a great fun time pressing. I'm guessing the clean up was just as long as the pressing..
Keep the thread going so we can track your progress.

Please continue the thread!! I enjoy reading and learning from all. Right now I can only dream about making wine on that size scale, but you never know where this HOBBY/OBCESSION will lead to.

Keep the pics coming too!!

BOB

Morn'n all

It took about 3 hours to get ready to press - 1 hr to press - 3/4 hours to clean - winemakers use lots of water. Interestingly, Victor uses TSP to clean/scrub everything first - then sprays with citric acid - and then rinses with water. He gets his TSP and Citric acid from Smart &amp; Final. I am going to start doing it this way too. And 1 hour or so to barrel taste! We started at 10:00 am and did not finish until almost dark (unloading barrel) at my house about 7:00pm. Long full day!!!

Rich, a must pump would be great - he has one in the crusher/destemmer and we could have used that. We are thinking about a trash pump with nylon impellers with a 3" hard line. As long as the must is as liquid as this it would work great. $400 compared to $3000 is a big difference. I have a little electric 1/5 hp water pump with 1/2" hoses for the stuff that I do. Takes time but is gentle.

By the way - Victor's barrel room (Bella la Vina Winery, Terra Bella, CA) is a truck container - 8' x 45'. 3 openings were cut in the side and roll up doors installed. Then he built 'walls' around three sides and added additional insulation. Put an evaporative cooler in one end on a thermostat and it all works well for him. He poured a concrete pad with drainage in front and a cover over it. He ferments/stores outside on deck and then transfers into barrels in the fall (late Nov/Dec) after he bottles so barrels are always full. He said the container was $2500 delivered and the doors was another $2000 installed. Plus the concrete and cover. Has a great storage room for not a big price. Just thought you would like to know for those considering making something like this.

As you see, lots of fermentation going on and all the storage tanks that you see are full. These are all 100 gallon microbins. They are all punched down 3 times a day. He is a commercial winery and does a lot of fun stuff.
Their website is www.bellalavinafarms.com.

20090917_065308_hill_house_wine.jpg

Looks like a lot of work, but a lot of fun, too. Bet it smells great with all that fermenting going on!

Latest posts

Back