RJ Spagnols High SG

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant

Reaction score
Hi all. I have been talking to Wade about this but I figured I would post it here as well

RJ Spagnold Kit
Cru Select - Restricted Quantity Kit
Cabernet Malbec Carmenere - 16L

Started kit as usual, I did notice that the juice seemed thicker that usual. I added destilled water to bring it up to the 23L level. Temperature is 77 F. Mixed it well. Checked SG prior to adding oak. WOW 1.164. Anyone else done one of these kits yet. Waiting to hear back from Lisa at RJ Spagnols before going any further.

20071227_215043_SG_High.JPG

When testing sg be sure there are no air bubbles on the hydrometer and that it is not touching the container. I usually test initial sg directly in the primary.

Tried puting hydrometer straight into wine, same result

Yeast is RJ Spagnols Wine Yeast pack - Produced by Lallemand Inc, Montreal QC.

I didnt know you used Distilled water and Ive also heard that distilled water should not be used for making a kit, just calibrating a hydrometer. I dont know what the adverse effects are if any.

As far as I can tell, there is no reason you cannot use distilled water sucessfully. There is always going to be someone who heard something somewhere that says not to do it. Pretty much water is water, the more pure, the less contaminants. If you can drink it, it will make wine. Some argue that being distilled there isn't enough oxygen in it. Water takes on oxygen no matter what if exposed to the atmosphere. If concerned about it, stir it well to get some into it. Some also say there are no minerals in it for feed for the yeast- is the must sterile? Of course not- there are nutrients in it in the form of minerals. If worried about it- add a few yeast nutrients.

Talked to store and they have switched from distilled to reverse osmosis. I have emails in to Lisa at Spagnols, but she isn't back until the 2nd. Also stopped and talked to the owner of the store where I bought kit and she hadn't heard from anyone else having same problem.

Hopefully they will just send you a new kit and to keep this 1, if so i would just add water to bring down to the right SG and most likely have to separate into 2 fermenters and have a lot of wine. You just might need more carboys!

I think you've found a manufacturing defect, and maybe you got enough concentrate for 46L? I'm sure RJS will end up replacing that, as the yeast (RJS always uses EC-1118) wont even be able to really start in that environment either.

I saw your post in the RJS forum too. Hopefully, you cna keep this cool enough for Lisa to return.

Hi all

Just an update at to what is happening with this kit. Talked to Lisa at RJ Spagnols yesterday via email. They are stumped as to what has happened as the test on the same batch kits at the factory resulted a SG of 1.107 and 1.109. Lisa is going to credit me for the kit or send a new one to my retailer. My retailer gave me all the stuff I would need to complete a second batch.

I took the juice and started adding water and stirring until I reached a SG of 1.104. Total volume by then was 38 litres. I now have a 23 litre kit going and a 15 litre kit going. I did pick up a 3 gallon carboy so I would be able to rack this. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

Thanks again to Wade for all his help.

Grant

Lisa is awesome! Kind of like a female version of George! HeHeHe. Glad to see all is taken care of and that youll have plenty of wine! Hope those batches come out good as well as the other 1 when ever that comes into play.

Just and update and a question.

SG at start on 6 gallon - 1.104 after 13 days now at 1.034

SG at start on 3 gallon - 1.106 after 13 days now at 1.024

sheet says that SG to stabilze and clear should be 0.998 or lower. The 6 gallon is still a bubbling away but it looks like all has stopped in 3 gallon. I plan to check both daily until it is steady under 0.998. Any comments or suggestions would be great. Temp has been steady at 74 F.

The replacement kit is sitting at dealer and I pick it up tommorrow. Great service from Lisa at RJS.
smiley32.gif

Grant

Stick your ear in there and listen for some sizzling, could be just a leak where yor grommet meats your bucket as these grommets are prone to leaks and that is why i re drilled all my primary lids and fitted them with rubber bungs.

Just another question.

How long can I keep them in primary

23L is at 1.024
15L is at 1.016

Both were started 15 days ago.

Thanks

Grant

I don't know about the Spagnols kits much but most of the others you can transfer at just about those SG readings. I know Wade does more of them. He will probably let you know.

These kits are designed to ferment dry in primary but if you feel safer transferring them now there is no problem at all as that is what all other manufacturers do.

Thanks

So if I transfer now, should I wait until the SG gets below 1.00 before I stabilize?

Grant

i would wait till you have a stable SG(3 days without change), for this kind of wine I would expect this to drop to about .996 or even less.

Latest posts

Back