High CO2 in Plum wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larryh86GT

Reaction score
I bottled batches of Red Raspberry, Pomegranite/plum juice, and Aldi's plum wine today. The red raspberry and the juice wines didn't take much degassing but the Aldi's plum was loaded (and still is, I gave up). There does not seem to be any end to the gas coming out. Is it CO2? I smells good like plum wine should.

Larry

Could very well be. During fermentation I will stir my musts often daily to help release CO2 before it's even finished. That makes less I have to get out at racking.

Different yeasts will work differently, temperature can effect it to. You can degass all day until the cows come home. Make sure you don't over do it.

I hope they do not blow on you as temperature increases along with atmospheric pressure.

Are there certain additives in the fermentation process that would create high CO2 levels? And especially in plum? Now that I think of it I think I stopped stiring the must after I removed the fruit after a few days.

Are there certain additives in the fermentation process that would create high CO2 levels? And especially in plum? Now that I think of it I think I stopped stiring the must after I removed the fruit after a few days.

CO2 is generated as yeast consume the sugar, and excrete CO2 and alcohol. If you stopped stirring near the end you may very well have had more than normal. Also are you sure the fermentation was complete.

I racked once a wine that was still fermenting a bit. I degassed it and after it was cleared it still had a lot of CO2 in it. Had to degas twice.

If they are bottled and it's more than a tiny fizz, you really should carefully pour back into a carboy and degass then rebottle again.

Plum wine is always a PAIN. It wont clear easy, it won't degass easy, seems to take forever to finish. but I make more every year now, because plums are free:slp

Do you have a vacuum pump? If not get your self one whether it be electric or not. The Mityvac was decent.

Plum wine is always a PAIN. It wont clear easy, it won't degass easy, seems to take forever to finish. but I make more every year now, because plums are free:slp

Free fruit is the best kind. Even if it is annoying to make wine out of it.

I have made loads of plum wine and it always clears like a charm.

I did a story on plums on my web-log there are some tips in it that might prove usefull.

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2009/08/pruimentijd-2009-plums-again.html

If you wash the plums in a lukewarm bath of water with soda ash the small film of wax on she skin will come off and the plum wine will clear flawlessly.

Luc

I have made loads of plum wine and it always clears like a charm.

I did a story on plums on my web-log there are some tips in it that might prove usefull.

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2009/08/pruimentijd-2009-plums-again.html

If you wash the plums in a lukewarm bath of water with soda ash the small film of wax on she skin will come off and the plum wine will clear flawlessly.

Luc
I do that already Luc, It may be the plums we have growing here in Western Washington are just a little diff. I did read that blog early. Mine always clears, it just takes longer than any other wine I make

Latest posts

Back