WineXpert High alcohol?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob007

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Enjoying a bottle of our Stags Leap Merlot, three months in. Very good! It seems like it has a very high alcohol level. My wife and I both notice it. Not sure what I'm expecting in the way of feed back, but is this a common experience?

Thanks,

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

We have noticed that all our ultra premium kits seem to pack a bigger punch than the 16L kits. A friend that we pass wine along to has also mentioned how strong my wines are compared to his 4 week kits.

cheers

Did you take SG readings at the start and finish of fermentation?

At 3 months, the flavors of the wine have not yet overpowered the flavor of the alcohol. Thats a 1 year minimum wine!

What DoctorCAD said, just put them away for at least a year otherwise when they are ready there will be nothing left. Don't ask me how I know!!

They are gone too fast as it is.

A wine like that will really need more than three months to develop. It's not that the alcohol level itself is really high but that your perception of it is greater. I'd give it time to reach it's potential.

What would you say is the ideal timeframe for this wine. I'm a bit confused as to how long a shelf life it might have. I did not add any k-meta before bottling.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

That's a good question. Without specific gravity readings it's hard to tell about the shelf life. If it's 12.4% alcohol, (this threshold will vary according to source) the wine should have as good a shelf life as any. It could be that it's a little harsh with tannins or other green wine components that will subside with time. I'm not aware that alcohol content falls noticeably in the normal amount of aging. I have some very high alcohol wine that I'm aging and one year isn't cutting it yet. It's a little smoother, but it's still like drinking whiskey.

Latest posts

Back