High Acidity

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim P

Reaction score
After transfering from my primary to secondary , I checked the acidity to be high , so I added some Calcium Carbonate to lower the acid.
It has been fermenting in the secondary for 14days , and seems to be slowing down, with some sediment on the bottom.
How long should I wait beforeracking again since adding the calcium carbonate , and also when to stabilize and sweeten.

Thanks
Jim

The directions I read are basically to rack 3-4 times and filter before bottling. You are able to stabilize and sweeten your wine when your wine has a stable sg for at least 3 consecutive days. Did you add the calcium carbonate to a small amount of your wine and then slowly introduce it to the rest of the batch per instructions?

I mixed the calcium carbonate with a small amount of wine , and then I stirred it in.
My packet says to use 5/8tsp per gal. to lower acidity 15% , and do not reduce acidity more than 30%.
I added6 tsp to the 6gal. batch.
I am wonderingby adding the calcium carbonate , will it cause any off flavors, or keep the wine from clearing out.

It precipitates out leaving no off flavors as long as you use it according to the instructions and dont try to push its limitations and as far as clearing it will actually help your wine clear if anything, did this bring it into acceptable levels or do you stil have to cold stabilize it to try and get the rest?

Wade

I reallly do appreciate your help with this issue .
My last acid test was at .85% , and I know that is a little high. Do you think thatI should rack off the sediment , stabilize with K-meta , and then cold stabilize.

Id taste it first, If its pleasing to taste then leave it and know it could possibly drop some diamonds in the bottle if cellared in cool temps which wont hurt you if. Thats not really a terrible TA so you really could leave it but if you feel its too high still then yes do as you stated. I dont think Id worry about that #.

What was the recipe, and how did it turn out? I'm starting a batch of my own with these buggers.

Latest posts

Back