hiccups

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sangwitch

Reaction score
I started with the hiccups last night around 9:30 pm. They kept me up most of the night and I woke up with them this morning. It is now a little over 12 hours and they have finally stopped. I'm afraid to cough or swallow for fear they may begin again.
smiley19.gif

On a happier note, I have some awesome cough syrup that I'm sipping on that makes me very dreamy
smiley17.gif

they started again right after I posted this and are still going strong two hours later. Anyone know of a cure that actually works?

BBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Did that work?
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Hope you get over them soon. Did you try a couple bottles along with the cough syrup?
smiley11.gif
smiley11.gif
smiley11.gif
smiley11.gif
smiley11.gif
smiley11.gif
smiley11.gif
smiley11.gif
smiley11.gif
smiley11.gif
smiley11.gif
smiley11.gif
smiley11.gif
smiley11.gif
smiley11.gif
smiley11.gif
smiley11.gif

That's a cool new avatar.

<CENTER>

"Hughes/Green Hiccups Cure"© 1997</CENTER>

(1) Pour a TALL glass of water.

(2) Hold your breath... ***

(3) IMPORTANT...PINCH YOUR NOSE CLOSED.

(4) Slowly, take 10 - 20 swallows of the water...while holding your breath with your nose pinched closed.

(5) When you can't stand it any more....you'll know by that overwhelming drowning sensation -- after a gasp, take a deep breath and relax.

This cures the hiccups 99 percent of the time - guaranteed! It's a proven medical remedy! (A second treatment could be necessary for stubborn cases.)

*** For stubborn cases, try EXHALING COMPLETELY and then taking 10 - 20 swallows.
<UL>NOW: HERE'S WHY IT WORKS: Hiccups are caused by an uncontrollable spasm in the diaphragm, (the "breathing" muscle). Often, this spasm is triggered by irritable conditions in the smooth muscles of the stomach or the esophagus. The "Hughes/Green Hiccups Cure" forces an increase in the carbon dioxide levels in the diaphragm itself, as well as in the stomach and esophagus. By swallowing, you are making the muscles work -- so they use up their available oxygen and replace it with carbon dioxide. By temporarily discontinuing to breath, you prohibit new oxygen from entering your body and thus create an anaerobic condition in the spasming diaphragm muscle. When the spasming diaphragm and stomach are deprived temporarily of oxygen and encounter the higher levels of carbon dioxide ... you feel that scary drowning sensation! BUT this causes the spasming muscles to relax! The hiccups go away! Essentially, you are "tricking" your body into thinking that it's drowning ... and it decides to use it's resources for something other than hiccuping. The rather "scary" drowning sensation caused by this method is NECESSARY for the method to work. If it's not just a little bit difficult ... it doesn't work.[/list]NOTE: This hiccups cure WORKS for virtually all cases. The method works especially well on children. It works for geriatric case, cancer victims, tobacco chewer's, and for people who get the hiccups frequently. This method instantly STOPS the hiccups. Sometimes, hiccups may return within an hour or so. Usually they do not: but if they do - just use the method again! You will not develop an immunity to this cure. Continue to use the method as often as needed, until the diaphragm relaxes permanently. In reality, you may not need 15 swallows of water, you just need to induce the drowning sensation which evokes a gasp. This method often works for children in about 6 or 7 swallows. Moreover, children NEVER thank you after their hiccups are cured. They seem to expect that you know how to fix such things. WHO-ever it is that you are trying to help should be encouraged to try this method. This method is not a "trick". It is not a psychosomatic effect. It works because of the change of the balance carbon dioxide levels in the diaphragm.

I tried a bunch of the home curs and the one you listed is one of the better ones. My problem is that they kept coming back. I'm going on 45 minutes hiccup free though (knock on wood). One of the things I read in trying to find a cure was that you should seek medical attention if they persist more than 3 hours. I had them in my sleep last night! Don't ever remember having them this bad.

oh yea, that's what I was thinking too Joan. The opiatesin the syrup for sure.

Masta's post about the exhale-then-swallowing is close to an old trick used for babies, but can be done with adults as well. When babies get hiccups, a trick was to put a small spoon (for a baby, about 1/4 teaspoon) of sugar in their mouth which they immediately tried to swallow -- and that caused the hiccups to go away for the reasons described above.

For adults, place a teaspoon of sugar on your tongue, then try to swallow the sugar as quickly as possible -- and it is NOT easy! You can't breathe as you swallow (if you swallow, swallow, SWALLOW!), and if you continue swallowing until you get all the sugar down, it takes a while (no stopping in the middle to breathe!) As soon as you are done, slo-o-o-w-wly i-n-h-a-l-e and then sit quietly for a moment, breathing slowly and easily.

Thatrapid swallowing produces all the effects as outlined in Masta's excellent physiological explanation above without the waterlogging or nose-pinching -- but you get a few more calories!

Really!
smiley1.gif

well, they're back and I've tried all the various tricks. I'm about to try again with wine instead of water. That way if it doesn't work... who cares!
smiley17.gif

I have heard that they are caused by a build up of CO2. That is why taking all the drinks of water and then a large deep breath my help. the deep breath decreases the CO2 in your lungs. Just a thought.

Also blowing up a ballon. The deep breaths in and out blow off CO2. Us scuba guys want more Oxygen and less CO2

Back