Hi

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSimpson

Junior
Reaction score
My name is Dan and I live in Wheat Ridge Colorado.

I am in my third year of wine making and currently have 36 gal in the carboys (all reds with some fruit blends).

After 15 years of beer making (and consuming many carbs) my folks decided to put in a vineyard and I moved over to the 'red-side'. They now have 3 acres of red grapes that will be in full production in two years.

Love this hobby! As my vintner mentor told me "wine is very forgiving", I have found the laissez-faire world of wine making fitting to my young family and intense international travel schedule.

Love the site. I have already purchased the vacuum system and cannot wait to use it for bottling.

Kind regards,

Dan

Hi Dan! Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you're well on your way. Good Luck! :b

Hello, Dan. Welcome to the forum. What reds have you make? Are you working from grapes, juice or kits? I assume the grapes from the family vineyard are not quite ready.

Welcome Dan. This season I picked grapes so I know what you are in for. It was pretty neat. A new experience for my wife and I.
Glad you joined. We have other people here that have vineyards that can help you if you have questions.
and yes, what reds do you like/are making? Inquiring minds.

Welcome Dan!
I just joined the forum also and will soon be making my first batch.
That 36 gallons ought to keep you in good spirits for a while.
I hear wine makes for good antifreeze during those cold Colorado winters.

I think you'll like this place, I know I do already.

Welcome Dan. You will soon be up to your knees in grapes with 3 acres of them. Please fill us in as to what they are, how they are trained, etc. Great to have you onboard here.

Welcome to the forum, Dan. That is a lot of grape vines! In what area do your parents live - Colorado?

Having a vineyard, even a quarter acre, would be a dream come true for me.

Welcome to the forum, Dan. That is a lot of grape vines! In what area do your parents live - Colorado?

Having a vineyard, even a quarter acre, would be a dream come true for me.

Welcome from a fellow newb!

@Robie.

Anytime you get the hanker'in to pull some weeds and prune some vines come on over!!:sm

Welcome from a fellow newb!

@Robie.

Anytime you get the hanker'in to pull some weeds and prune some vines come on over!!:sm

I hear you. I am reading a book (true story) about a guy planting a vineyard in Tuscany. He keeps asking himself why he is creating all this work for himself.

For inquiring minds:

I have only worked with grapes. After years of making beer from grains, figured grapes were the way to start.

The vines are in Grand Junction. Yes my family has planted, weeded, trained and picked! Nothing like spending 12 hrs in the vines only to look up and see another 1,000 to go...

In the carboys: merlot, cab franc, syrah, vinters blend, and merlot/cherry. All from GJ.

Last year was 300# of sangiovese. Should have made more - down to the last 20 bottles.

Dan

Welcome to the forum Dan. Im jealous already, I love Colorado and I love vinyards. Hope to hear more from you on how everythings going so I can dream about my future vinyard(if im lucky).

Back