Hi there

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Numa

Junior
Reaction score
I have been a longtime lurker here and finally decided to register so that I can take full advantage of the wealth of information here.

I live in a tiny town in North Carolina which is near several vineyards that produce wonderful wines. Although I have never been a really big wine drinker, I got bitten by the winemaking bug last year. Since then, I haven't looked at any sugared liquid the same. Also, I've been drinking a bit more wine since then too! :)

So far I have produced some surprisingly decent wines from juices but will be working on my first kit soon, an Island Mist Pomegranate Zinfandel. Usually, I make a pretty nice apfelwein, and have been pushing the limits of ABV on it without turning into a jet fuel that has a vaguely apple-tasting finish.

Even though I live in the country I am fortunate to have a LHBS nearby, Advantage Beer and Wine Supplies in Hickory. Mike there has fielded many a question of mine and is quite nice and knowledgeable.

Numa welcome aboard. Glad you found us and feel free to ask questions any time. What kind of grapes are they growing in the vineyards by you, Muscadine?

Thanks Runningwolf! Yes, there are Muscadine around here as well as Catawba, Niagra, and others.

When I was a kid I would make myself nearly sick eating Scuppernongs that grew across the neighbor's fence. I wish I had access to that vine today since I love the taste of them.

Hi Numa,

What campus are you on? And welcome to winemakingtalk. My step-son lives in Tega Cay, SC, which is about 30 minutes from Charlotte, I know that there is a Rutherford College campus there. There are two vineyards that we love to visit when we go to visit him. Rocky River Vineyards and Dennis Vineyards, both are close to Charlotte. We were just there this weekend and both tell me that we can pick grapes at their vinevard sometime in August and early September.

Welcome !

Ask away

U near Charlotte? what colege?

Thanks y'all.

Unfortunately, there's not a college here in Rutherford College anymore as I think it closed in the 1930s. The old college campus was later converted to a hospital, but they've recently torn down the old buildings (and trees!) to modernize and expand the hospital.

I'm about 60 miles from Charlotte and about 60 miles from Asheville.

LOL, your location said Rutherford College never gave it a thought that it would be a town/city. You are not that far from PCharles who just signed up.

Welcome watch out for the wino's on here they started out just like you

Latest posts

Back