Hi guys, new member needs help!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPerkins

Junior
Reaction score
Hey guys, recently got my kit from George because I wanted to make some plum wine from some delicious yellow plums I grew in my back yard.

Here's the problems, of which there are several.

I went by the recipe in the book that comes with the deluxe kit. I added everything in the quantities that the recipe called for. However, I only added water to the 5 gal line instead of the 6 and I didn't take an SG reading. That was Sunday or 3 days ago.

I waited 24 hours (Monday, 2 days ago), put in the yeast and its cooking like crazy now. 1 or 2 bubbles per second.

I just took an SG reading and it is at 1.07. Here's the question, should I add more water? What will I do when I get it into the 5 gallon carboy? When I remove the fruit bag there will probably only be 4 gallons of liquid. Will this make the brew too strong?

I appreciate any help. Yes, I know I'm an idiot but its my first time and I guess I"m learning. Hopefully this spring will bring more plums. :)

If everything usedwas for a 5 gallon batch I think you will be ok to go ahead and add another gallon of water. I would add it now though and not wait until you rack to secondaty.

I agree about adding the water. The SG now is a bit higher than I would expect it so the extra water will take it down a bit where it should be. If it doesn't have enough flavor when done, you could try and add some concentrated plum juice to sweeten and add a bit more flavor. I would add it before clearing though and also after k-meta and k-sorbate(k=potassium). Good luck with it and welcome to our little corner of the world.

Thanks guys. I'm going to add some water.
smiley1.gif

I don't think it will water it down too much. I used extra plums as I had a bunch.

I just put about 7/8 of a gallon of water in, room temperature. I will take an SG reading tomorrow and see where its at. The recipe says to remove fruit and rack to secondary at 1.040 and rack to another secondary at 1.000.

Just racked to secondary. Has a pleasing yellow color, quite murky. About 1/2" of lees on the bottom. SG was 1.03. Quite a few small bubbles on the top, about 1/8" of them.

Getting about 1 bubble per second with the barrel airlock. I guess I'm supposed to let it sit here for about 3 weeks. I didn't add any K-met or campden. Not a big sulfite fan. Wondering if I should, recipe doesn't call for it but the recipe didn't call for a lot of things. :/

Checked acid using titration method. Was at .6 This is confusing since the recipe called for 1/2 tsp a gallon at the beginning but after making the initial must batch the acid was at .6 so I didn't add any. I'm thinking the plum wine recipe is for red plums that are a far more tart than the sweet yellows with small stones that I grew. Boy, they were sweet and juicy. Thoughts on this would help. I Heard you can adjust acid down the road so I feel ok with this.

Will keep updating in case someone has some suggestions.

Hold off on the sulfites until your sg drops to 1.000 or less as you want the yeast to finish eating the sugars and making as much alcohol as they can tolerate. You would add the sulfites after fermentation ceases to protect from oxidation.

Your TA looked to be at a good level so no need to add any acid blend.

Back