Hi from Arkansas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsforster

Reaction score
I stumbled across this site and am glad I did! Tons of info for free, what more can you ask for? I own 7.5 acres and want to put in a small vineyard. What are some ideas for getting cuttings?

Thanks,

Randy

Are you in an area where you can grow muscadines? You might want to indicate your area more specifically in your profile (over to the left of your post) if you think you'll be asking questions in the future. Most grapes can be propagated by cuttings, but obviously ones that have to be grafted onto rootstock won't do well. I'd start touring wineries and vineyards in the area and talking to the owners. They're almost always willing to talk business with us hobbyists.

Hi, welcome to the forum. As to cuttings - I would not recommend that you start that way.
Cuttings will add a year or two to the time it takes to establish the vines and you are restricted in what you can grow as many grapes cannot be grown as own rooted vines or in the case of Norton, cannot easily be started from cuttings.
I recommend you order from a nursery so that you get grafted vines that have disease resistent root stock.
If you are in the grape growing area, then I would seriously look at French varieties and Norton and avoid the hybrids.

I've bought potted plants, air layered my own vines using 2 liter bottles, pinned my vines, and bought tissue cultured vines. I'm pretty enthused about the tissue cultured vines. They're disease free and I found that mine caught up with half gallon and gallon potted vines the first year. I'm talking muscadines. That's all I grow.

Thanks all!. I live in north central Arkansas and I already have several muscadines growing. A few concords also. I need to go to Altus Arkansas which is the " Napa Valley " of the state. I have been going thru the ag. extension site to see what varieties are best for my area. I had hopes of visiting a few of these wineries in the early spring with hopes of getting several cutting.

Latest posts

Back