Hey!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weriss

Junior
Reaction score
Hello, I'm Clariden and I've recently joined the community. To be honest, this is an acquired taste for me and it took me years to get fond of drinking. Learning to make a wine on my own is one of the things I want to accomplish this year. Glad to be part of the community.

Welcome to the forum. Good group of very helpful folks around here. Do you have plans for what you are going to start with making. I almost always suggest to brand new winemakers start with a lower end kit, something you already like to drink, make it following the instructions as close as possible. Asking questions of this group, when you have them. Then branch out, once you know the basics of the winemaking process.

Hi Clariden, and welcome. If enjoying wine has been an acquired taste what kind of wine are you thinking of making? Sure grape wine from kits is a possibility but the problem may be that you don't enjoy grape wine. Another possibility is what are known as "country wines". Country wines are wines made from any other fruit or even vegetables and they have been made for hundereds of years if not longer. They don't have the same "status" as grape wines but then country wines have been made at home for home consumption and not by wineries for profit. You can make wine from all kinds of berries, stone fruit, apples, even from edible flowers. Another option is making wine from honey - mead. Mead was perhaps the first alcoholic drink tasted and made by humans. The secret of all wines, though, is balance: the balance YOU prefer among factors that include amount of alcohol, the acidity, the richness of flavor, the amount of tannins in the wine AND the perceived sweetness. Wines that are very dry you may not like. Wines that are very sweet you may not like. You have to find the right balance. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back