Hey Tom, I made a mistake

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker

Reaction score
I saw on one of Tom's posts concerning Chilean that he threw in some raisins. So, when I was transferring some Chilean Chianti to a carboy, hoping to get plenty of body, I put in 24 oz of raisins. So you think that the Iceland volcano was bad? I should have known better, I guess the raisins should have gone into the primary. After 2 days of .991 I thought it was ready, and it was. It's just those dammm raisins. Now I am hoping that Tom will tell me if they will be OK for about 6-8 weeks. I should have known, I should have known, I should have known. :slp

Yes should have been added to the primary

If it would have been in the primary for only about 7 or 8 days, how long should I leave them in the secondary?

With only 24 ounces it wont matter as theres a lot of alc in there now and that will keep them preserved. The thing is you had a gassy wine still at that point and anything added at that point is an area where Where C02 can attach itself and in doing so it builds to the point where it can no longer contain itself and disperses. Its like adding oak cubes or anything at this point and the fact that it contains sugar also gives the yeast something to chew on and starts fermenting immediately which can make this even worse.

If it would have been in the primary for only about 7 or 8 days, how long should I leave them in the secondary?
A couple of weeks wont hurt. What are you planning to do next? Age,MLF etc?

At this point I would leave it alone for about 6 weeks and then rack. If MLF happens naturally, fine, otherwise rack again about 2 months later. Then just leave it alone to age until I need the carboy which will be in September. It should have plenty of body.

Latest posts

Back