Help!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevs15

Reaction score
I racked my Welch's grape juice wine from the primary to secondary. About two hours later I check on it and has bubbled up into the airlock! What should I do?? How do I fix this??!

What was your sg reading when you racked? I would sit the carboy in a sink or another container to catch any spill over. Remove your air lock for another day or you may just find yourself with a red ceiling.

You could but I don't think I would if you take the other measures. If you can't move it then I would take out about 1/2 gallon for a day or two than put it back in. What is your sg??

When I took it, it was 1.00. I read somewhere that I could rack it at 1.020 or less.

You did the right thing. You probably also have a lot of C02. You need the air lock on the carboy now. Yes, you can remove a bit of the wine if you have a small container to put it in like a 750ml bottle with an air lock.

Great... Thanks!! I had to leave the house and I took the airlock off. Is it a problem if I don't get it back on for a couple hours?

So will I wake up to a reddish splattered kitchen in the morning?? Lol

If you can put an air lock on a half gallon jug that would be fine. Not knowing what you have available even a 750ml wine bottle would do it. You might not even have any more problems.

Someone suggested that I move the carboy to the basement where it is cooler. The idea is the fermentation will slow down for a bit. Thoughts?

You can stretch a balloon over the opening and punch a very, very tiny hole in it. Since the hole is so small, the only time much will pass thru it is when pressure builds up in the container and the balloon's surface is stretched. It will at least get you by until you can get a real air lock.

You wouldnt even need an airlock on it, its fermenting right? Any cloth just to make sure no bugs can get in.

It has settled down down. I moved it to the basement where it is cooler. I'm gonna move it back upstairs today. I haven't taken another SG yet. I'll do that later today. Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back