Help with Racking to Tertiary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samh200

Reaction score
(I think is the proper term)

In my secondary my SG .998 its been in for 3 weeks im getting 1 bubble 45-60 seconds was wondering it it needs racking to the next corboy? if so do I need to put any additives in it to stop fermation an to start clearing it with somthing if so what do I put and how much?

It's just racking at this point. The terms 'primary' and 'secondary' come from the differences in the aerobic and anaerobic fermentations that take place during wine. Aerobic, meaning basically 'with air', is primary & anaerobic, 'without air", is secondary - when things move under an airlock. :i

If its been an SG of .998 for three weeks, safe to say your fermentation is done. The same SG for anything past 3 days is generally accepted as a finished or stuck fermentation - depending on the SG

Rack if theres quite a bit of sediment at the bottom, you want to seperate the liquids from the solids as they settle. Once its in a clean carboy, i would degas it first & see how clear you can get it with some patience & gravity. Getting the Co2 out the way helps a lot

It's just racking at this point. The terms 'primary' and 'secondary' come from the differences in the aerobic and anaerobic fermentations that take place during wine. Aerobic, meaning basically 'with air', is primary & anaerobic, 'without air", is secondary - when things move under an airlock. :i

If its been an SG of .998 for three weeks, safe to say your fermentation is done. The same SG for anything past 3 days is generally accepted as a finished or stuck fermentation - depending on the SG

Rack if theres quite a bit of sediment at the bottom, you want to seperate the liquids from the solids as they settle. Once its in a clean carboy, i would degas it first & see how clear you can get it with some patience & gravity. Getting the Co2 out the way helps a lot

Thanks Deezil, For the your help:b

If it were mine, I would warm it up to the mid-70's, rack it off the sediment, add K-meta, degas it, add sorbate if you plan to backsweeten it, and then add Superkleer to aid in the clearing process. Then, I'd sit back for a few weeks to see how much sediment drops out. ;)

Latest posts

Back