Help. What’s this

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bananablack

Junior
Reaction score
What’s this floating on wine in carbon, and is it Safe to drink. My dumb butt forgot about it in the shed for 4ish months

Attachments

• 74F2F2F8-189E-4411-8BE4-E16EF027ABEB.jpeg
    74F2F2F8-189E-4411-8BE4-E16EF027ABEB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
  • 8967BC2F-3450-45B9-A72D-0A5DB8CC9CBB.jpeg
    8967BC2F-3450-45B9-A72D-0A5DB8CC9CBB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
  • 984702B5-B892-4BCB-80F7-0E7B8E647095.jpeg
    984702B5-B892-4BCB-80F7-0E7B8E647095.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
What’s this floating on wine in carbon, and is it Safe to drink. My dumb butt forgot about it in the shed for 4ish months
not a clue, but back a few months ago i came up with 2 ,,6 gallon carboys of apple, i set mine back, since then it looks like a 1/4 inch hoop of rope, after i get everything bottled, i plan to sweeten and try, if it taste good i will bottle but with out labels or shrink wrap,
Richard

It looks very similar to the kahm yeast I had on a couple vegetable ferments over the years. I know it's not poisonous. Some causes are not enough acidity, warm temps, and it needs oxygen. Surface grower, didn't affect my vegetables.

Not saying that's what it is, but sure does look like it.

Last edited:
No clue, either. Skim it off and whatever you need to do to remove it.

Sniff the wine -- does it smell ok? If it smells ok, taste it. If it tastes ok, keeping going, otherwise you may need to toss it (depending on what other advice you get).

Always sniff first -- if it doesn't smell good, the chances of it tasting good are very slim.

First of all welcome to wine making talk. , , , where to start?

Wine is a preservative system! If the pH is below 4.0 and you have 10%+ alcohol and it is dry you will not have food poisoning organisms. Your main risk is that an aerobic (requires oxygen) organism is in the carboy. This type of microbe needs To ferment alternate carbon sources. , , , usually alcohol, , , , usually producing vinegar.

Diagnosis. If microbial in origin it should feel soft/ greasy. Appearance, you have some white colony shape and you have some floating film appearance. As Brian said smell (for vinegar/ off notes). If you had a microscope (or kids that are taking high school biology) you could pull a sample out and see if it is a cocci (oblong) shape and likely Acetobacter,, or long filaments likely a mold.

At this point I would take some paper towel and try to wipe it off. In a carboy I have taken a metal as knife or skewer rolled an inch strip of towel and held it with a rubber band for wiping. Microbial breaks up so be gentle. Repeat till clean. Then treat with a double dose of metabisulphite / 100ppm. This will be at the level where some folks will taste it but most won’t. Can you remove the head space? ex marbles?

In the future any time the carboy is opened treat the wine with 50ppm metabisulphite, and keep the head space at the minimum. Air/ oxidation is your big risk when you have a finished wine.

Back